Re: [carfree_cities] Sport utility bikes: a comparison

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
      I find it really interesting how different
      the approach is in all the American models they illustrate, with the
      cargo bearing portion in the back, from European cargo cycles (whether
      Dutch bakfietsen, Danish ladcykler from Nihola, Christiania etc., or
      British models), all of which put a load-bearing box or platform/rack
      in the front ok the principle that this makes for better overall
      maneuverability. Even the triporteur delibery bikes used by dépanneur
      corner stores here in Montreal have cargo trays in the front, ahead of
      the handlebars.

      Thoughts?

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada
      christophermiller@...
      +1-514-568-9949

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
        On Oct 7, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Christopher Miller wrote:

        > I find it really interesting how different
        > the approach is in all the American models they illustrate, with the
        > cargo bearing portion in the back, from European cargo cycles (whether
        > Dutch bakfietsen, Danish ladcykler from Nihola, Christiania etc., or
        > British models), all of which put a load-bearing box or platform/rack
        > in the front ok the principle that this makes for better overall
        > maneuverability. Even the triporteur delibery bikes used by dépanneur
        > corner stores here in Montreal have cargo trays in the front, ahead of
        > the handlebars.

        This has been a subject of much discussion on one of my bike lists.

        Generally it's because Americans have, for the last fifty years,
        preferred to buy racing bicycles (image thing, y'know) and racing
        bicycles, for reasons having to do with racing frame geometry, can
        carry loads well on the rear but handle horribly when front-loaded.
        So, in the US, bicyclists became accustomed to rear racks as a
        standards load carrying.

        Front loaders look "quaint" and unmanly to US riders ("Only girls
        ride with baskets"), though this is changing considerably now. A
        movement has grown over the last five years among serious riders and
        custom builders in the US to promote and provide French-style front-
        bikes. Kogswell of Minneapolis is one company that offers an
        inexpensive production model; ANT Bikes in Boston has expensive ones:

        http://www.kogswell.com/ (Taiwan made)
        http://antbikemike.com/ (US, handmade)

        The major manufacturers are slowly catching up here.

        Rick