Re: [carfree_cities] NYTimes.com: City Room: 10 Finalists Picked in Bike-Rack Contest

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      > The winning design will eventually replace the 5,000 or so
      > CityRacks, which were first designed 10 years ago.

      http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/10-finalists-picked-in-bike-rack-contest/?ei=5070&emc=eta1

      =v= The old design is the basic upside-down "U". I don't think
      there's anything particularly lacking with it, except that NYC
      needs far more than 5,000 racks. (So, for the near term, these
      new racks should supplant, not replace, the old ones.)

      =v= (That said, I am delighted by the one that like the ecology
      symbol, designed by Ian Mahaffy and Maarten De Greeve, and I
      hope it wins.)

      =v= A nonprofit group called Trees New York, which promotes
      the planting and care of street trees in NYC, also had a design
      competition a few years ago, for a combination bike rack and
      tree guard. The idea was to provide something to lock bikes
      to instead of trees, and also to protect the trees (and their
      roots systems). You can see the two winning designs here:

      http://treesny.com/

      <_Jym_>