NYTimes.com: City Room: 10 Finalists Picked in Bike-Rack Contest

  • rickrise@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2008
      This page was sent to you by: rickrise@....

      N.Y./REGION | September 30, 2008
      City Room: 10 Finalists Picked in Bike-Rack Contest
      Sewell Chan
      The winning design will eventually replace the 5,000 or so CityRacks, which were first designed 10 years ago.

      http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/10-finalists-picked-in-bike-rack-contest/?ei=5070&emc=eta1

      ABOUT THIS E-MAIL
      This e-mail was sent to you by a friend through NYTimes.com's E-mail This Article service. For general information about NYTimes.com, write to help@....

      NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

      Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
        > The winning design will eventually replace the 5,000 or so
        > CityRacks, which were first designed 10 years ago.

        http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/10-finalists-picked-in-bike-rack-contest/?ei=5070&emc=eta1

        =v= The old design is the basic upside-down "U". I don't think
        there's anything particularly lacking with it, except that NYC
        needs far more than 5,000 racks. (So, for the near term, these
        new racks should supplant, not replace, the old ones.)

        =v= (That said, I am delighted by the one that like the ecology
        symbol, designed by Ian Mahaffy and Maarten De Greeve, and I
        hope it wins.)

        =v= A nonprofit group called Trees New York, which promotes
        the planting and care of street trees in NYC, also had a design
        competition a few years ago, for a combination bike rack and
        tree guard. The idea was to provide something to lock bikes
        to instead of trees, and also to protect the trees (and their
        roots systems). You can see the two winning designs here:

        http://treesny.com/

        <_Jym_>