Re: Forced parking in NYC

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
      Towing is an excellent idea if it's actually enforced. Tallahassee's
      sidewalks, bike lanes, and parks are free-for-all parking, and the
      police ignore it all.

      Obviously, the solution to "lack of parking spaces" should not be just
      to force an artificially large supply. God Forbid we take action to
      reduce the demand.

      Several malls around here have hundreds (if not thousands) of parking
      spaces that have literally never been parked in. The owner of the mall
      probably didn't voluntarily waste that space--they were most likely
      forced to by the city. Let's put a stop to forced sprawl...

      > "If you don't force off-street parking, property owners won't provide
      > enough parking, and drivers will park illegally, blocking streets and
      > sidewalks and using others' property as parking."
      >

      > Tow them all!

    • Cuthbert J. Twillie
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister" <matt@...>
        wrote:
        The owner of the mall
        probably didn't voluntarily waste that space--they were most likely
        forced to by the city.

        This is true. City codes force establishments to have X amount of
        parking spots and X amount of dis-abled parking spots. Fortunately, my
        city just passed an ordnance to force them to have X amount of bike
        parking; but I haven't seen anyone do it yet. Perhaps I will have to
        sue a couple of them inorder for them to comply to the new ordnance.