Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Forced parking in NYC

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
      > Tow them all!

      "... and let God sort them out!"
      <_Jym_>
    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
        Towing is an excellent idea if it's actually enforced. Tallahassee's
        sidewalks, bike lanes, and parks are free-for-all parking, and the
        police ignore it all.

        Obviously, the solution to "lack of parking spaces" should not be just
        to force an artificially large supply. God Forbid we take action to
        reduce the demand.

        Several malls around here have hundreds (if not thousands) of parking
        spaces that have literally never been parked in. The owner of the mall
        probably didn't voluntarily waste that space--they were most likely
        forced to by the city. Let's put a stop to forced sprawl...

        > "If you don't force off-street parking, property owners won't provide
        > enough parking, and drivers will park illegally, blocking streets and
        > sidewalks and using others' property as parking."
        >

        > Tow them all!

      • Cuthbert J. Twillie
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister" <matt@...>
          wrote:
          The owner of the mall
          probably didn't voluntarily waste that space--they were most likely
          forced to by the city.

          This is true. City codes force establishments to have X amount of
          parking spots and X amount of dis-abled parking spots. Fortunately, my
          city just passed an ordnance to force them to have X amount of bike
          parking; but I haven't seen anyone do it yet. Perhaps I will have to
          sue a couple of them inorder for them to comply to the new ordnance.