Re: Forced parking in NYC

  • Cuthbert J. Twillie
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister" <matt@...>
      wrote:

      "If you don't force off-street parking, property owners won't provide
      enough parking, and drivers will park illegally, blocking streets and
      sidewalks and using others' property as parking."

      Tow them all!
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
        > Tow them all!

        "... and let God sort them out!"
        <_Jym_>
      • Matt Hohmeister
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
          Towing is an excellent idea if it's actually enforced. Tallahassee's
          sidewalks, bike lanes, and parks are free-for-all parking, and the
          police ignore it all.

          Obviously, the solution to "lack of parking spaces" should not be just
          to force an artificially large supply. God Forbid we take action to
          reduce the demand.

          Several malls around here have hundreds (if not thousands) of parking
          spaces that have literally never been parked in. The owner of the mall
          probably didn't voluntarily waste that space--they were most likely
          forced to by the city. Let's put a stop to forced sprawl...

          > "If you don't force off-street parking, property owners won't provide
          > enough parking, and drivers will park illegally, blocking streets and
          > sidewalks and using others' property as parking."
          >

          > Tow them all!

        • Cuthbert J. Twillie
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
            wrote:
            The owner of the mall
            probably didn't voluntarily waste that space--they were most likely
            forced to by the city.

            This is true. City codes force establishments to have X amount of
            parking spots and X amount of dis-abled parking spots. Fortunately, my
            city just passed an ordnance to force them to have X amount of bike
            parking; but I haven't seen anyone do it yet. Perhaps I will have to
            sue a couple of them inorder for them to comply to the new ordnance.