Forced parking in NYC

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2 1:07 PM
      http://transalt.org/newsroom/releases/2541

      "Study: City-Mandated Parking Will Add One Billion More Miles of Driving a Year
      Groups urge Mayor to cut new parking requirements before NYC becomes suburbia"

      I was pretty shocked to see this. I was completely unaware that NYC, of all places, has a law
      forcing off-street parking at new residential development.

      I've heard these "forced parking" laws defended, and it's what I at best call circular logic:

      "If you don't force off-street parking, property owners won't provide enough parking, and
      drivers will park illegally, blocking streets and sidewalks and using others' property as
      parking."

      On the surface, there seems to be some merit to this. If you live near a
      high school, you might be tempted to say "The high school should have one parking space
      per student, then they won't triple-park on the street and block my driveway!"

      Obviously, there are some pretty deep, far-reaching problems with this, like American
      development patterns of the last 60 years...
    • Cuthbert J. Twillie
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 3:27 PM
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister" <matt@...>
        wrote:

        "If you don't force off-street parking, property owners won't provide
        enough parking, and drivers will park illegally, blocking streets and
        sidewalks and using others' property as parking."

        Tow them all!
      • Jym Dyer
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 3:51 PM
          > Tow them all!

          "... and let God sort them out!"
          <_Jym_>
        • Matt Hohmeister
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3 3:18 PM
            Towing is an excellent idea if it's actually enforced. Tallahassee's
            sidewalks, bike lanes, and parks are free-for-all parking, and the
            police ignore it all.

            Obviously, the solution to "lack of parking spaces" should not be just
            to force an artificially large supply. God Forbid we take action to
            reduce the demand.

            Several malls around here have hundreds (if not thousands) of parking
            spaces that have literally never been parked in. The owner of the mall
            probably didn't voluntarily waste that space--they were most likely
            forced to by the city. Let's put a stop to forced sprawl...

            > "If you don't force off-street parking, property owners won't provide
            > enough parking, and drivers will park illegally, blocking streets and
            > sidewalks and using others' property as parking."
            >

            > Tow them all!

          • Cuthbert J. Twillie
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3 4:08 PM
              wrote:
              The owner of the mall
              probably didn't voluntarily waste that space--they were most likely
              forced to by the city.

              This is true. City codes force establishments to have X amount of
              parking spots and X amount of dis-abled parking spots. Fortunately, my
              city just passed an ordnance to force them to have X amount of bike
              parking; but I haven't seen anyone do it yet. Perhaps I will have to
              sue a couple of them inorder for them to comply to the new ordnance.