Video of the first car-free street day in Manhattan

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2008
      From Streetfilms ( http://www.streetfilms.org/ ) via the Monday
      August 11 entry on the CoolTowns blog:

      Feeling remarkably similar to Bogota's Ciclovia, the New York City
      Department of Transportation held its first Summer Streets event on
      Saturday by opening 7 miles of city streets to pedestrians and bike
      traffic only. From 7 AM to 1 PM, roads were car-free from 72nd Street
      to the Brooklyn Bridge with Park Avenue serving as the backbone of the
      route. Our Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan is the real deal - she
      spent the entire day riding a bike around the course (and even said
      some nice things about me to my mom.)

      We'll spare you the 200 adjectives we could list about how
      transformational it was, for it was beyond anything on the printed
      page. The general consensus was that the event succeeded beyond even
      the most hoped for expectations and would pass even the most
      pessimistic of measuring sticks. A page has been turned, clearly there
      is no doubt: the future will hold many more large scale street
      openings for pedestrians, cyclists, runners, children, dog walkers,
      dancers, and any other reasonable livable space use.

      The swarms of people and happy faces made for much positive energy.
      Around noon, some blocks were getting very crowded, but there was a
      general courtesy that existed between pedestrians and cyclists. The
      city built it - and the people came. And they smiled alot.

    • paulparma
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2008
        Wish I was there; my son has been thers twice this year (a point I am
        proud of), with me one of those times.

        Has this made network TV mention yet? With their news offices in NYC
        (including CNN I believe) we can hope.

        Just hoping to witness the avalanche of carfree living into the US
        conscious. Not yet? Ever?

        Paul P.