Mike Davis on Climate Change and Social Chaos

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28 5:50 PM
      Superb article by Mike Davis on Global Warming, Economic and Social
      Justice, and the chance to make it to the next century.

      Two quotes below the link (you must scroll down five paragraphs to
      find the actual article).

      http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174949/
      mike_davis_welcome_to_the_next_epoch

      > Even while higher energy prices are pushing SUVs towards extinction
      > and attracting more venture capital to renewable energy, they are
      > also opening the Pandora's box of the crudest of crude oil
      > production from Canadian tar sands and Venezuelan heavy oil. As one
      > British scientist has warned, the very last thing we should wish
      > for (under the false slogan of "energy independence") is new
      > frontiers in hydrocarbon production that advance "humankind's
      > ability to accelerate global warming" and slow the urgent
      > transition to "non-carbon or closed-carbon energy cycles."
      >

      > In a sobering study recently published in the Proceedings of the
      > [U.S.] National Academy of Science, a research team has attempted
      > to calculate the environmental costs of economic globalization
      > since 1961 as expressed in deforestation, climate change, over-
      > fishing, ozone depletion, mangrove conversion, and agricultural
      > expansion. After making adjustments for relative cost burdens, they
      > found that the richest countries, by their activities, had
      > generated 42% of environmental degradation across the world, while
      > shouldering only 3% of the resulting costs.

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com