Re: [carfree_cities] Re: MTA ready to vote on $30 billion sales tax increase initiative today

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25 1:01 PM
      Bus Riders Union seems to be a cat's paw for a stridently anti-rail
      group. They employ patently false arguments such as claiming that
      the rail system is "racist" though the Blue LIne run right through
      South Central and Compton and has had a huge role in revitalizing the
      latter city, the Red Line runs through several predominantly latino
      areas, and the Gold Line, though it ends in Pasadena, passes through
      the Latina neighborhoods of highland Park and Lincoln Park, and its
      extension will serve East Los Angeles, a historically Mexican
      district. (And Pasadena itself has a notable black population in its
      northern reaches.)

      And even if the rail lines did serve largely white areas (which they
      don't), ti's white folks driving their cars on freeways that cut
      through minority neighborhoods that contribute to the high level of
      pollution-related illnesses there; getting rich white folks, who
      drive proportionately more, out of their cars helps poor folks.

      Anything you hear from the LA Bus Riders Union is likely to be an
      outright lie. I have butted heads with these clowns before.

      After all, one of the best ways to diminish transit ridership is to
      make it dependent on slow, uncomfortable busses.

      Rick

      On Jul 25, 2008, at 12:43 PM, she4bikes wrote:

      > They voted on it but their Bus Riders Union opposed it,
      > citing competition with rail system (said it would
      > funnel too much money to the rail system.
      > Sad that this group is not united with the greater
      > cause of alternative transportation.

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • she4bikes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26 11:18 AM
        In our county, San Luis Obispo, we would go
        nuts over a rail system. We have local city transits
        that do not connect well to our county-wider system,
        and a cute little shuttle from inland to the ocean.
        We desperately need money and even our very conservative
        traditionally anti-transit transit board is begging
        people to beg California State Governor Schwarzenegger
        to not raid transit funds to balance the California
        State budget.
        So, we're small and need all the solidarity we can get.
        Perhaps we will push for the same actions as MTA.

        -Sheila

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg