Re: MTA ready to vote on $30 billion sales tax increase initiative today

  • she4bikes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25 12:43 PM
      They voted on it but their Bus Riders Union opposed it,
      citing competition with rail system (said it would
      funnel too much money to the rail system.
      Sad that this group is not united with the greater
      cause of alternative transportation.
      -Sheila Baker

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, rickrise@... wrote:

      > This story was sent to you by: Rick
      >
      > --------------------
      > MTA ready to vote on $30 billion sales tax increase initiative
      today
      > --------------------
      >
      > The measure would pay for decades of road and rail construction
      projects.

      > By Steve Hymon
      > Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
      >
      > July 24 2008, 9:44 AM PDT
      >
      > The Metropolitan Transportation Authority board of directors this
      morning will vote on whether to place a $30 billon sales tax increase
      on the November ballot that if approved would spark three decades of
      road and rail construction, including the first link of a long-
      awaited subway to the sea.

      > The complete article can be viewed at:
      > http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-salestax25-
      2008jul25,0,7015819.story

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25 1:01 PM
        Bus Riders Union seems to be a cat's paw for a stridently anti-rail
        group. They employ patently false arguments such as claiming that
        the rail system is "racist" though the Blue LIne run right through
        South Central and Compton and has had a huge role in revitalizing the
        latter city, the Red Line runs through several predominantly latino
        areas, and the Gold Line, though it ends in Pasadena, passes through
        the Latina neighborhoods of highland Park and Lincoln Park, and its
        extension will serve East Los Angeles, a historically Mexican
        district. (And Pasadena itself has a notable black population in its
        northern reaches.)

        And even if the rail lines did serve largely white areas (which they
        don't), ti's white folks driving their cars on freeways that cut
        through minority neighborhoods that contribute to the high level of
        pollution-related illnesses there; getting rich white folks, who
        drive proportionately more, out of their cars helps poor folks.

        Anything you hear from the LA Bus Riders Union is likely to be an
        outright lie. I have butted heads with these clowns before.

        After all, one of the best ways to diminish transit ridership is to
        make it dependent on slow, uncomfortable busses.

        Rick

        On Jul 25, 2008, at 12:43 PM, she4bikes wrote:

        > They voted on it but their Bus Riders Union opposed it,
        > citing competition with rail system (said it would
        > funnel too much money to the rail system.
        > Sad that this group is not united with the greater
        > cause of alternative transportation.

        http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        http://www.newcolonist.com
        http://www.rickrise.com

      • she4bikes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26 11:18 AM
          In our county, San Luis Obispo, we would go
          nuts over a rail system. We have local city transits
          that do not connect well to our county-wider system,
          and a cute little shuttle from inland to the ocean.
          We desperately need money and even our very conservative
          traditionally anti-transit transit board is begging
          people to beg California State Governor Schwarzenegger
          to not raid transit funds to balance the California
          State budget.
          So, we're small and need all the solidarity we can get.
          Perhaps we will push for the same actions as MTA.

          -Sheila

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg