MTA ready to vote on $30 billion sales tax increase initiative today

  • rickrise@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2008
      This story was sent to you by: Rick

      --------------------
      MTA ready to vote on $30 billion sales tax increase initiative today
      --------------------

      The measure would pay for decades of road and rail construction projects.

      By Steve Hymon
      Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

      July 24 2008, 9:44 AM PDT

      The Metropolitan Transportation Authority board of directors this morning will vote on whether to place a $30 billon sales tax increase on the November ballot that if approved would spark three decades of road and rail construction, including the first link of a long-awaited subway to the sea.

      The complete article can be viewed at:
      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-salestax25-2008jul25,0,7015819.story

      Visit latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com
    • she4bikes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2008
        They voted on it but their Bus Riders Union opposed it,
        citing competition with rail system (said it would
        funnel too much money to the rail system.
        Sad that this group is not united with the greater
        cause of alternative transportation.
        -Sheila Baker

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2008
          Bus Riders Union seems to be a cat's paw for a stridently anti-rail
          group. They employ patently false arguments such as claiming that
          the rail system is "racist" though the Blue LIne run right through
          South Central and Compton and has had a huge role in revitalizing the
          latter city, the Red Line runs through several predominantly latino
          areas, and the Gold Line, though it ends in Pasadena, passes through
          the Latina neighborhoods of highland Park and Lincoln Park, and its
          extension will serve East Los Angeles, a historically Mexican
          district. (And Pasadena itself has a notable black population in its
          northern reaches.)

          And even if the rail lines did serve largely white areas (which they
          don't), ti's white folks driving their cars on freeways that cut
          through minority neighborhoods that contribute to the high level of
          pollution-related illnesses there; getting rich white folks, who
          drive proportionately more, out of their cars helps poor folks.

          Anything you hear from the LA Bus Riders Union is likely to be an
          outright lie. I have butted heads with these clowns before.

          After all, one of the best ways to diminish transit ridership is to
          make it dependent on slow, uncomfortable busses.

          Rick

          On Jul 25, 2008, at 12:43 PM, she4bikes wrote:

          > They voted on it but their Bus Riders Union opposed it,
          > citing competition with rail system (said it would
          > funnel too much money to the rail system.
          > Sad that this group is not united with the greater
          > cause of alternative transportation.

          http://www.bicyclefixation.com
          http://www.newcolonist.com
          http://www.rickrise.com

        • she4bikes
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2008
            In our county, San Luis Obispo, we would go
            nuts over a rail system. We have local city transits
            that do not connect well to our county-wider system,
            and a cute little shuttle from inland to the ocean.
            We desperately need money and even our very conservative
            traditionally anti-transit transit board is begging
            people to beg California State Governor Schwarzenegger
            to not raid transit funds to balance the California
            State budget.
            So, we're small and need all the solidarity we can get.
            Perhaps we will push for the same actions as MTA.

            -Sheila

            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg