A convert to cycling in the suburbs of Minneapolis

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2008
      This article appeared in the West Metro section of the Minneapolis
      Star-Tribune. I wish it could have been carried in all the sections.
      ---------
      A couple of weeks ago our second vehicle died. We had gotten a lot out
      of our 1991 Honda Civic, and we were probably on borrowed time.

      It was a great opportunity for me and my wife to practice moving
      gracefully with this unexpected turn, rather than focusing on
      frustration or helplessness. We are working hard to pay off some old
      debt, and we just created a pretty aggressive 13-month plan to erase
      our credit card debt -- so it was tempting to move into a negative
      reaction. I reminded myself that something positive will be found by
      this experience, if I just pay attention.

      A couple of days before the car stopped running, I rode my bike to
      work for the first time. It's an 8-mile stretch from Minneapolis to
      Minnetonka, and it's mostly on a beautiful bike path well off the
      road. Still, I had made many excuses as to why I wouldn't commit to
      this means of transportation consistently: How will I carry my lunch
      to and from work? What if I sweat too much? What if it rains? And on
      and on. Plus there is a stretch on Shady Oak Road with no path and a
      tiny shoulder which is quite dangerous.

      Well, being with only one car, I decided to figure out the bike
      routine, at least temporarily. Carrying my lunch was a minor detail.
      It's not that hot in the morning, plus I figured out our office
      building has a shower that I can use if need be. It rarely rains
      during the actual commute (but I did use the gas money I've saved over
      the last two weeks to invest in a nice rain jacket for such occasions).

      And, once I committed to biking, I found alternate routes to get to
      work, and I now have less than 1 mile on the actual road; the rest is
      bike paths, including a path that leads right up to my office. I
      connect with it in Hopkins, and it's a beautiful stretch in the woods,
      way away from traffic.

      More at:

      http://www.startribune.com/local/west/23911034.html?location_refer=West%20Metro
      Enjoy!