More in the Mainstream News

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2008
      Yes, I remember us talking about all this 30 years ago:

      > Over the last 25 years, opportunities to head off the current
      > crisis were ignored, missed or deliberately blocked, according to
      > analysts, politicians and veterans of the oil and automobile
      > industries. What�s more, for all the surprise at just how high oil
      > prices have climbed, and fears for the future, this is one crisis
      > we were warned about. Ever since the oil shortages of the 1970s,
      > one report after another has cautioned against America�s oil
      > addiction.
      >
      > Even as politicians heatedly debate opening new regions to
      > drilling, corralling energy speculators, or starting an Apollo-like
      > effort to find renewable energy supplies, analysts say the real
      > source of the problem is closer to home. In fact, it�s parked in
      > our driveways.

      Entire article:

      http://tinyurl.com/57aqvj

      They still don't really get it, though. I still see people driving
      one mile to buy a single small item. I do see more and more folks on
      bikes every day, and more and more folks on the buses and trains, and
      maybe they're the bellwethers, so I want to see what the next few
      years bring.

      Myself, been bicycle commuting for most of the last forty years (with
      a couple of short breaks when I gave in to social pressure and drove
      or rode motorcycles). Frankly I'm pretty happy not to travel in a
      small sterile box, myself, regardless of gas prices. If driving were
      so much fun you wouldn't need a six-speaker stereo system to help you
      pass the time.

      RR
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com