Re:How to really fix the economy... and the Earth

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2008
      As a Japanese-English translator, I frequently have to translate
      reports to shareholders or potential investors issued by Japanese
      companies. It is striking that every one of the reports I have
      translated contains a section on how the company is using less energy
      than the previous year, recycling x percent of its used products,
      replacing environmentally unfriendly raw materials, and reducing its
      waste stream by y percent. It doesn't matter what the company
      manufactures: it boasts about its environmental efforts, down to
      keeping its offices warm in summer and cool in winter and making all
      the workers unplug their office equipment when they go home for the day.

      Oh, and they just opened another train line in northern Tokyo to serve
      a previously underserved area. I think I may have already mentioned
      the bicycle parking garages that began turning up at major train
      stations about five or ten years ago.

      Forty years ago, Japan was notorious for Minamata disease and
      unbreathable air. They're not perfect by any means, but they're a
      great example of what a nation can accomplish if it makes
      environmentalism a priority.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness