Re: Temporarily Carfree Portland

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2 12:02 PM
      This message came in recently.

      At 2008-06-30 20:54, you wrote:
      >Hello,
      >
      >I thought you might enjoy the revelation that cars are in fact good
      >for something — blocking off a street so that citizens can reclaim it!
      >
      >Portland, Oregon has an event called Last Thursday that occurs in the
      >Alberta arts district. There has been much enthusiasm to make it a
      >carfree space at least temporarily since Last Thursday only occurs for
      >a few hours once a month.
      >
      >Well, after the Sunday Parkway event that the city recently sponsored,
      >some citizens took matters politely into their own hands. You can read
      >more at BikePortland.org. Here is the link to the story (
      >http://tinyurl.com/6dat3v ).
      >
      >Thank you for your work and website.
      >
      >Sincerely,
      >Rian Murnen

      ----- ### -----
    • Karen Sandness
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 4:19 PM
        I may have mentioned this here before, but a few years ago, I was
        walking around in Tokyo when I came across a side street that was
        blocked off with a sawhorse and a sign saying that the residents had
        declared it a car-free zone. I don't know how long the sign had been
        up or how long it remained up after that (I was on my way to an
        appointment and couldn't stop and chat with the residents), but given
        the width of the street and the number of little shops along it, I can
        see why cars would have been unwelcome.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness
      • Matt Hohmeister
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 9:02 PM
          When I was in elementary school (in Philadelphia), the principal
          would, for before- and after-school hours, park his car dead center in
          an intersection next to the school to slow down traffic--he basically
          made the intersection into a traffic circle. He most likely did this
          with the blessing of the police, since his car was never towed.

          By the way, I take issue with temporary street closings, "school
          zones", and other such temporary measures. They're a way of saying
          that pedestrians are not welcome, unless it's during designated hours.
          If an intersection can be made into a traffic circle during school
          hours, why not make it into a permanent traffic circle? If the speed
          limit is lowered from 30 to 20 mph during school hours, why not just
          redesign the whole street for 20 mph and make it that way 24/7? If
          downtown streets can be closed for a whole week in December for the
          Winter Festival with no harm (and in fact, benefit) to all affected
          property owners, why not make it permanent? The only restaurant
          downtown with outdoor tables would probably love it.

          I've always thought that one easy way to transition to carfree is to
          simply make temporary street closures and lower speed limits permanent.

          BTW, here in Tallahassee (and I assume we're not alone in this),
          vehicles are used to block streets--and everything else. Sidewalks and
          bike lanes are seen as free-for-all parking, and the police not only
          don't enforce anything, but they do it themselves.