Re: [carfree_cities] Re:Guardian article on Copenhagenize blog and "copenhagenizing" cities

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2008
      I think this is probably a result of how many people (and sadly this
      is also true of many journalists, who should be paying more attention
      to historical context) seem to judge everything in terms of what we
      are habituated to in our own times, i.e., in this case, a very car-
      centric transportation economy. You see this so often in reactions by
      the average "Joe" or "Jane" to media reports of even the most timid
      steps to (re-)introduce an emphasis on streetcars, trains and bicycles
      and try to edge away from the overwhelming hegemony of the automobile:
      for so many people, it is unimaginable that there could be any other
      way to move around. This leads to disparaging comments we often see by
      some politicians, in editorials, in letters to the editor, or in radio
      or online opinion forums, about tramways being quaint 19th century
      technology unfit for our times, or bicycles being impossible as a
      means of getting anywhere or doing anything serious (and even being
      "unprofessional", as I have seen in more than one comment). Even the
      Treehugger blog,which you might think has its priorities straight, is
      hopelessly enamored with the idea of the "green car", i.e. anything,
      but any alternative fuel or power source, please please please!!! to
      let us keep on driving everywhere.

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada