Fw: RE: [carfree_cities] Portuguese CarFree website?

  • N Schneider
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2008
      I sent this to a Brazilian friend and this is her response:

      It is about the hydrogen car. It produces water vapor when in operation, that is
      the reason for the cartoon.

      The message discusses that hydrogen does not grow in trees and it needs to be
      produced and the production of hydrogen may produces more carbon emissions than
      the car running on fossil fuel....

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2008
        Hello,

        I also sent this to a Brazilian friend, and came up with this:

        Hi Justin,

        That's right the title means: One less car.

        The post: Porque razão os peões deve(ria)m desrespeitar as regras II
        Means: For what reasons pedestrians should not respect the rules II

        Basically, he demonstrates that pedestrians have to wait 17 times
        longer than drivers. His experience was in downtown Lisbon in an area
        full of people, shops and offices. As a pedestrian, he measured the
        time lost waiting for cars. As a driver he measured the time lost
        waiting for pedestrians.

        cheers,
        Luis

        On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM, N Schneider <nschneider2015@...> wrote:
        > I sent this to a Brazilian friend and this is her response:
        >
        > It is about the hydrogen car. It produces water vapor when in operation,
        > that is
        > the reason for the cartoon.
        >
        > The message discusses that hydrogen does not grow in trees and it needs to
        > be
        > produced and the production of hydrogen may produces more carbon emissions
        > than
        > the car running on fossil fuel....

      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2008
          Hi,

          Just to confirm, yes the blog -- as its title indicates -- is an anti-
          autocentric blog from Portugal; the subtitle calls it a "Sustainable
          mobility blog. For the environment, for cities, for people". Along
          with the most recent post referred to in Justin's message, the recent
          postings have been about:

          25 June:
          It's always worth remembering: driving fast costs... and lots!
          - oft-repeated points about things that make driving more -- or less--
          expensive

          24 June:
          Trains for what?
          - Complains about people criticising construction of a TGV in Portugal
          but saying nothing about the 1200 km of roads the current government
          has built or about the continuing dismantlement of the railways,
          contrary to the European tendency.

          23 June:
          Yet more proof of our bizarre obsession for the car
          - European data: Portuguese families are in second place among the EU
          27 for the portion of their income spent on traveling by car. This
          disproves the myth that the percentage spent on car travel is related
          to relative richness: Italy is first in the ranking and Bulgaria last.
          Also, the poorest 20% of familes spends 8.1% on transport whereas the
          richest 20% spends 14.4% of income on transport.

          22 June:
          Could this be the same country?
          - "Is it possible for a country that has the money to build a highway,
          that is going to include a 5.6 km tunnel, in a mountainous region (the
          most expensive area for construction), in a place where there is
          already an IP (Note by CM: I don't know what this would be), and a
          place where there is already a parallel highway 20 km to the north, is
          the same one that doesn't have the money to carry out improvements on
          its main railway line to bring the train into the centre of a regional
          capital (which certainly would not necessitate a tunnel of that size)?"

          21 June:
          Nothing new on the west coast
          - Despite the snail's pace growth of the economy, high family debt and
          fuel prices rising, car sales have gone up 7.7 percent (11.7% in the
          first trimester).
          - Criticises the monomaniacal view of the car as the only possible
          means of transport: the PM sees electric cars as the solution of the
          future, but no-one mentions public transports and train stations are
          being moved from the downtowns to the outskirts...

          18 June
          Hydrogen cars
          - Criticises hydrogen or electric cars as solutions, because of their
          inevitable high demand for energy to power them (which undoes any
          progress made in low-power light bulbs and other energy-saving
          measures) and the fact that if they don't pollute *inside* cities,
          they pollute *outside* of them because of their power sources.

          14 June:
          What the country needs is more parallel highways
          - He sarcastically disagrees and invites the prime minister to explain
          to the Irish that despite going from a poor country to one of the
          world's richest, they have made the wrong decisions, since instead of
          having parallel highways like Portugal, they don't even have a single
          highway between their two major cities...

          Just a taste of the kinds of entries on this blog, which goes back to
          November 2006. Many links to blogs and sites on sustainable mobility,
          including the World Carfree Network and Carfree Cities.

          On 27-Jun-08, at 2:19 PM, Justin Hyatt wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I also sent this to a Brazilian friend, and came up with this:
          >
          > Hi Justin,
          >
          > That's right the title means: One less car.
          >
          > The post: Porque razão os peões deve(ria)m desrespeitar as regras II
          > Means: For what reasons pedestrians should not respect the rules II
          >
          > Basically, he demonstrates that pedestrians have to wait 17 times
          > longer than drivers. His experience was in downtown Lisbon in an area
          > full of people, shops and offices. As a pedestrian, he measured the
          > time lost waiting for cars. As a driver he measured the time lost
          > waiting for pedestrians.
          >

          > .

          Christopher Miller
          Montreal QC Canada