"High oil price stops globalisation" WELT-article mentions WCN`s AGM // Re: [wcn_media] mass transit in LA gets record high ridership

  • Markus Heller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2008
      Hi all,

      here is also an article from today with a similar subject. It mentions WCN`s
      AGM, me and my autofrei leben! club. I had a phone call with one of the
      authors a few days ago. He said, he personally lives carfree, and he was
      very surprised to see that there are carfree organisations. He liked that.

      I think, for Germans this article is very surprising, because nobody expects
      from the publisher (Springer company, right wing) such an article, which is
      so critical with globalization.
      Especially for us carfree people it is surprising, because Springer attacked
      WCN last summer.

      http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article2128654/Hoher_Oelpreis_stoppt_die_Globalisierung.html

      High oil price stops globalisation

      The high costs of energy already hinder the traffic of goods and the
      mobility of the people. More and more people renounce on the car, airlines
      shut down planes, the world commerce gets on the brakes. Indications
      increase, that soon the car will not be german`s loved child any more.

      (the article starts with some notes and quotes of my experiences with people
      at an info-table I had with my carfree club June-1. Then some paragraphs
      later the article highlights the marketing success of the new carfree
      development in Cologne. Then it is about "empty US highways", the decrease
      of car use in USA, the crazy system of world wide transports of goods
      because oil prices are so low, and so on)

      the sentence about WCN:

      The World Carfree Network, a world wide initiative for carfree life,
      registered at the weekend during its annual general meeting in Portland a
      record number of application for membership from 16 national initiatives.

      (I think this whole article is worth to translate.)

      cheers from Berlin
      Markus
      www.autofrei.de | www.autofrei-wohnen.de

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2008
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Markus Heller" <heller@...>

        > I think, for Germans this article is very surprising, because
        nobody expects
        > from the publisher (Springer company, right wing) such an article,
        which is
        > so critical with globalization.
        > Especially for us carfree people it is surprising, because Springer
        attacked
        > WCN last summer.
        >
        > http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article2128654/
        Hoher_Oelpreis_stoppt_die_Globalisierung.html

        What a lovely article! The only thing I disagree with is that
        globalization requires fossil fuels. We are globalising right on this
        email list, sending emails all over the globe. The shipping boss says
        their boats are going at half power and saving lots of fuel. (But
        still going faster than half speed, I bet). They have even done tests
        with kites which can reduce fuel consumption by 50%.
        http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/01/beluga_shipping.html

        The right wing is moving quite quickly on many green issues and on
        peak oil. Last year the Murdoch newspapers started publishing
        favorable articles about bicycling, notably in the Times (London). I
        think a lot of people in the fossil industry just wanted to squeeze
        every last drop out of an unsustainable lifestyle on the way out. But
        at a certain point even the silliest people will realise that you
        will be considered a clown by the public unless you move on.

        Erik Sandblom