Cities that had streetcars?

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2008
      Does anyone out there know of a website that has an unofficial roster
      of cities that had streetcars at any time in their history? I'd love
      to find out if Tallahassee, FL ever had them.

      For that matter, I'd love to see city bus maps from the 1950s and see
      what's changed. Does anyone know where these would be available?

      All I know now is that the city took over bus operations from a
      private contractor in 1973, and that the current route layout was more
      or less finalized in 1985.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2008
        On Jun 12, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Matt Hohmeister wrote:

        > Does anyone out there know of a website that has an unofficial roster
        > of cities that had streetcars at any time in their history? I'd love
        > to find out if Tallahassee, FL ever had them.
        >
        > For that matter, I'd love to see city bus maps from the 1950s and see
        > what's changed. Does anyone know where these would be available?

        This might help:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
        List_of_town_tramway_systems_in_the_United_States

        I have a vintage history of the Los Angeles Street Railway (not the
        Pacific Electric), but I'm not letting that go. Someday I may get it
        scanned, though.

        Rick
        http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        http://www.newcolonist.com
        http://www.rickrise.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2008
          No, but see:

          http://zenzero.com/trams/index.html

          for starters. And the beautiful photos.

          Joel

          At 2008-06-12 16:19, you wrote:

          >Does anyone out there know of a website that has an unofficial roster
          >of cities that had streetcars at any time in their history? I'd love
          >to find out if Tallahassee, FL ever had them.
          >
          >For that matter, I'd love to see city bus maps from the 1950s and see
          >what's changed. Does anyone know where these would be available?
          >
          >All I know now is that the city took over bus operations from a
          >private contractor in 1973, and that the current route layout was more
          >or less finalized in 1985.
          >
          >Thanks

        • Matt Hohmeister
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13, 2008
            Perfect! Looks like we had horse-drawn streetcars. I'd love to see a
            route map--I might be able to find that at the county library's map area.

            I'm honestly wondering if recent (and future) gas price increases
            will, at any time in the near future, encourage cities to repeal their
            sprawl laws--maximum FARs, minimum parking, minimum lot lines, etc...