Re: Exodus - was: Latest from Jim Kunstler

  • Ed Beighe
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 9, 2008
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "chbuckeye" <coleridge3150@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Jet Graphics"
      > <Jetgraphics@> wrote:
      > >the funding for most paved roads is derived from taxation on petroleum
      > consumption
      >
      > Not exactly, but close....
      > The state and local governments followed a similar pattern to the
      > federal government.

      Arizona has a (pretty standard) 19.4 cents per gallon,
      and no sales tax on gasoline.
      Here in fast growing Maricopa county (Phoenix metro area) we already
      have had a 0.5% general sales tax for years and years to fund highway
      construction.
      Now we are told this isn't enough, so a special interest group (with
      the support of the governor)is pushing a plan for ballot initiative
      that would add ANOTHER full percent to the general sales tax.
      (this would cause sales tax in the city of Phoenix, for example, to be
      9.3% -- among the highest sales tax in the nation).

      The group (heavy construction companies and whatnot) backing this
      proposal calls this a comprehensive transportation plan, including
      bus, trains, etc. However, the large majority of the money is
      earmarked for road construction.

      The governor even cooked up a secret deal with home builder's lobby
      (it leaked) for them to escape any sort of impact fees. (Sheesh, this
      sounds like some sort of conspiracy theory -- but I'm not making this
      stuff up!). The governor even stated flatly that this proposal (sales
      taxes) is the "only way" to raise the money -- in other words, use tax
      increases were for some reason impossible.

      http://azbikelaw.org/blog/deal-to-increase-sales-tax-to-build-roads/