Re: Car-lite/Carfree Eco-towns (Re: Modelling Cities in 3d)

  • jackskellin9ton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2008
      Just wanted to say thanks to Markus and Ed for their input.

      You're right. I got so carried away trying to sell carfree towns and
      cities to the car driving masses that I forgot about the hardcore. :)

      I'll be adding a car-lite/carfree section soon.

      Cheers,

      Chris
    • spenniec
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 14, 2009
        Hi Chris
        I have just started using Sketchup and am a big fan of the software
        and Joel's vision of a car free city. My view is that means NO cars.
        Pleople walk, wheel, cycle or travel by train.
        I would be very interested in starting up a group/community to bring
        his vision to 'life' in 3D using Sketchup.
        Anyone else interested or knowing of an already similar project then
        please post.

        cheers
        Spencer

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "jackskellin9ton"

        http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/doubleplus/cloverleaf_city/ecotown/density.ht\

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
          Spencer said:

          >I have just started using Sketchup and am a big fan of the software
          >and Joel's vision of a car free city. My view is that means NO cars.
          >Pleople walk, wheel, cycle or travel by train.
          >I would be very interested in starting up a group/community to bring
          >his vision to 'life' in 3D using Sketchup.
          >Anyone else interested or knowing of an already similar project then
          >please post.

          I've been thinking about this project for more than ten
          years. Part of the work was done recently by Procedural,
          a Swiss outfit that released software to construct detailed
          virtual cities. (The film industry is very interested.)
          The stuff costs $7000. There's a free 30-day trial. I'm
          waiting until the decks are clear, so that I can spend
          every minute of 30 days with it.

          I want to automate the process, with a page or two of inputs
          that allow you to specify a whole range of parameters along
          with the range of random variation for each parameter. Each
          time you press the button you get a different city, even with
          the same inputs.

          Outputs would include 2D and later 3D graphics plus a thorough
          statistical summary of the result, including resource inputs
          required to build and operate the city.

          http://www.procedural.com/

          http://www.nlynch.com/pages/47/procedural_city_builder/

          http://www.3daet.com/pages/805/l-system_city/

          So, yeah, consider me interested.

          Best,

          Joel

          ----- ### -----
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
            Hi again,

            Add to links on this:

            http://www.gamesitb.com/SurveyProcedural.pdf

            Best,

            Joel

            ----- ### -----
          • spenniec
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
              Very intersting!
              The ability to use procedural methods to generate streets and
              buildings would certainly save a lot of time.
              I'll download the software this evening.
              $7000 certainly puts it out of the reach of a community to purchase.
              They have some pretty good press, however it looks like a new product
              and there's nothing like a good showcase of what your product can do
              along with some great publicity which could definitely be generated.
              What are the thoughts on sending them an email asking for an unlimited
              copy for free? They'll want assurances that we aren't going to spread
              it around the internet or benefit from it commercially, purely for it
              to showcase a vision of post car cities.
              If you don't ask, you don't get :-)

              cheers
              Spencer