Re: Modelling Cities in 3d with Google Sketchup (Free)

  • Ed Beale
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2008
      Hi Chris,

      I have just read through the whole of your ecotownZ website. I think
      it is great and very comprehensive in covering all the issues. I
      agree that this town form would be very much preferable to what we
      currently have in Britain, but that a fully carfree city would be
      still better. Of the different layouts you show, I prefer Alternate
      Design #2
      (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/doubleplus/cloverleaf_city/ecotown/more/car-lite_eco-town.htm)
      because it separates out the car parking so that people don't have
      individual driveways and a car sat right outside their house. I think
      it's likely that far more people would then decide to live completely
      without a car, or would use a car club, especially if the eco town
      centre has good rail links further afield. Also, as you mention, this
      design would be easier to convert to be completely carfree, either in
      its entirety, or in one or more carfree quarters.

      Best Wishes,
      Ed

      Ed Beale
      Carfree UK
      http://www.carfree.org.uk/

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "jackskellin9ton"

      http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/doubleplus/cloverleaf_city/ecotown/density.ht\

      <http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/doubleplus/cloverleaf_city/ecotown/density.h\
      > tm>
      >

      > Chris B

    • jackskellin9ton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2008
        Just wanted to say thanks to Markus and Ed for their input.

        You're right. I got so carried away trying to sell carfree towns and
        cities to the car driving masses that I forgot about the hardcore. :)

        I'll be adding a car-lite/carfree section soon.

        Cheers,

        Chris
      • spenniec
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 14, 2009
          Hi Chris
          I have just started using Sketchup and am a big fan of the software
          and Joel's vision of a car free city. My view is that means NO cars.
          Pleople walk, wheel, cycle or travel by train.
          I would be very interested in starting up a group/community to bring
          his vision to 'life' in 3D using Sketchup.
          Anyone else interested or knowing of an already similar project then
          please post.

          cheers
          Spencer

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
            Spencer said:

            >I have just started using Sketchup and am a big fan of the software
            >and Joel's vision of a car free city. My view is that means NO cars.
            >Pleople walk, wheel, cycle or travel by train.
            >I would be very interested in starting up a group/community to bring
            >his vision to 'life' in 3D using Sketchup.
            >Anyone else interested or knowing of an already similar project then
            >please post.

            I've been thinking about this project for more than ten
            years. Part of the work was done recently by Procedural,
            a Swiss outfit that released software to construct detailed
            virtual cities. (The film industry is very interested.)
            The stuff costs $7000. There's a free 30-day trial. I'm
            waiting until the decks are clear, so that I can spend
            every minute of 30 days with it.

            I want to automate the process, with a page or two of inputs
            that allow you to specify a whole range of parameters along
            with the range of random variation for each parameter. Each
            time you press the button you get a different city, even with
            the same inputs.

            Outputs would include 2D and later 3D graphics plus a thorough
            statistical summary of the result, including resource inputs
            required to build and operate the city.

            http://www.procedural.com/

            http://www.nlynch.com/pages/47/procedural_city_builder/

            http://www.3daet.com/pages/805/l-system_city/

            So, yeah, consider me interested.

            Best,

            Joel

            ----- ### -----
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
              Hi again,

              Add to links on this:

              http://www.gamesitb.com/SurveyProcedural.pdf

              Best,

              Joel

              ----- ### -----
            • spenniec
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
                Very intersting!
                The ability to use procedural methods to generate streets and
                buildings would certainly save a lot of time.
                I'll download the software this evening.
                $7000 certainly puts it out of the reach of a community to purchase.
                They have some pretty good press, however it looks like a new product
                and there's nothing like a good showcase of what your product can do
                along with some great publicity which could definitely be generated.
                What are the thoughts on sending them an email asking for an unlimited
                copy for free? They'll want assurances that we aren't going to spread
                it around the internet or benefit from it commercially, purely for it
                to showcase a vision of post car cities.
                If you don't ask, you don't get :-)

                cheers
                Spencer