Re: Exodus - was: Latest from Jim Kunstler

  • chbuckeye
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2008
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Jet Graphics"
      <Jetgraphics@...> wrote:

      > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "chbuckeye" <coleridge3150@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I suspect that privatization will be
      > > the order of the day.
      >
      > JG: Though I agree that partisan politics have no place in design and
      > maintenance of transportation, I would not be happy with any private
      > monopoly on roads or other means of transportation.
      >
      > Perhaps a compromise would be in order.
      >
      > A public corporation / authority, or a cooperative ownership of
      > transportation assets may be more palatable.

      I don't favor privatization either. But the existing car-based
      transportation system in the US is unsustainable. I think toll roads
      operated and maintained by private toll-road operators with long-term
      leases from the government is the current trend.

      As I understand it, this is how that currently works. The lessee/toll
      road operator has to maintain the roadway to a certain standard set by
      the government, and a government oversight committee usually has some
      say in toll rates, but the lessee gets a monopoly on the route and can
      keep the profits. Sort of like a utility, only the government
      ultimately owns the land and can revoke the lease if the private
      company isn't following all the terms of the lease. The leases are
      generally 25 years or more.

      As states look for ways to pay for highway maintenance, I think there
      will be pressure to allow more interstates that are not currently toll
      roads to become toll roads. No one really wants to do it, but we've
      dug a hole and have few options. I don't think the US is ready to
      abandon too many roadways.
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 5, 2008
        Hi All,

        The discussion of toll roads, paying for repairs, and
        other "auto-trivia" really does not belong on this list.

        Yours in moderation,

        Joel

        At 2008-06-05 08:34, you wrote:

        >--- In <mailto:carfree_cities%40yahoogroups.com>carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Jet Graphics"
        ><Jetgraphics@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> --- In <mailto:carfree_cities%40yahoogroups.com>carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "chbuckeye" <coleridge3150@>
        >> wrote:
        >> >
        >> > I suspect that privatization will be
        >> > the order of the day.
        >>
        >> JG: Though I agree that partisan politics have no place in design and
        >> maintenance of transportation, I would not be happy with any private
        >> monopoly on roads or other means of transportation.
        >>
        >> Perhaps a compromise would be in order.
        >>
        >> A public corporation / authority, or a cooperative ownership of
        >> transportation assets may be more palatable.
        >
        >I don't favor privatization either. But the existing car-based
        >transportation system in the US is unsustainable. I think toll roads
        >operated and maintained by private toll-road operators with long-term
        >leases from the government is the current trend.
        >
        >As I understand it, this is how that currently works. The lessee/toll
        >road operator has to maintain the roadway to a certain standard set by
        >the government, and a government oversight committee usually has some
        >say in toll rates, but the lessee gets a monopoly on the route and can
        >keep the profits. Sort of like a utility, only the government
        >ultimately owns the land and can revoke the lease if the private
        >company isn't following all the terms of the lease. The leases are
        >generally 25 years or more.
        >
        >As states look for ways to pay for highway maintenance, I think there
        >will be pressure to allow more interstates that are not currently toll
        >roads to become toll roads. No one really wants to do it, but we've
        >dug a hole and have few options. I don't think the US is ready to
        >abandon too many roadways.

        ----- ### -----
      • Jason Meggs
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 5, 2008
          > As states look for ways to pay for highway maintenance, I think there
          > will be pressure to allow more interstates that are not currently toll
          > roads to become toll roads. No one really wants to do it, but we've
          > dug a hole and have few options. I don't think the US is ready to
          > abandon too many roadways.

          Hm. At TCFC IV in Berlin, a presentation was made about toll roads and
          the importance of capturing their revenues for alternatives. There was
          vocal opposition to the idea that attendees spend any time doing anything
          that might further the goal of roads; no deals with the devil. Joel
          Crawford evidently concurs in a recent email regarding this thread.

          At this time, congestion pricing is a topic on the rise, and toll roads
          are essentially a subset. I'd be surprised if anyone legitimately on this
          list is opposed to congestion pricing zones (and would love to know why).
          CarBusters has its section on watching car culture, which I take as a
          strategic necessity. I don't want to discuss toll roads either, although
          congestion pricing is of great interest. The issue of where the revenues
          go remains at large, and is important; it can further car culture, or it
          can quicken a transition away from it. Political pressure is the order of
          the day, as usual. In the U.S., political opposition and perhaps some
          fumbling in New York and San Francisco are the status reports on
          congestion pricing efforts here. The Federal Government has reportedly
          recently assigned $1 Billion USD to the study and implemention of
          congestion pricing strategies, so there is some hope of success.

          Does it matter? (And do we care about roads at all?) Personally, if oil
          supplies drop off at the expected rate (8% per annum is not at all
          unlikely, resulting in half the available oil in under 8 years), there
          will be a rather large dampening on road building, toll collection, and
          driving in general. The current rate of roadway disappearance in the U.S.
          will accelerate. The focus will shift to providing basic services, and
          ideally, to an emerging sustainable economy with even higher quality of
          life for all (the likely reality may be more bleak). The wealthy who may
          yet enjoy that limitless access to fuel feeling will opt for large
          vehicles which happily trounce the worst of roads.

          More importantly...

          Speaking of $1 Billion: At the World Ecocity Summit in San Francisco, one
          of our members involved in funding in Asia discussed the novel idea, "What
          if a large funder gave $1B for GHG reductions to the WCN overnight?"

          After some initial wretching at the implausibility of the idea, she saw a
          light and said, "It might actually be the best possible use of a billion
          dollars -- if the funds were distributed to all the member groups" and let
          them run with it.

          Boggling the mind, one ponders the proper sequence of events to secure and
          distribute such a large fund without compomising that vision. The recent
          communication from Christi Brooks, until recently the fund raiser in
          Prague, forwarded by Joel Crawford on May 30, further informs that boggled
          mind.

          Yours in bureacracy-speak,

          Jason in Berkeley

        • bruun@seas.upenn.edu
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2008
            Jason

            Actually, the Feds stole the $1 Billion from the Transit Trust Fund to
            finance demo congestion pricing projects. However, since they are
            opposed to raising the gas tax, which hasn't increased since 1993,
            they have made no plans to ever give the money back. That is why I use
            the word "stole" rather than "borrowed".
            They wanted to "borrow" the remaining $4 B from the Transit Trust Fund
            too, but thank God the Congress stopped that idea.

            Eric Bruun

          • Jason Meggs
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2008
              Ah!

              Thank you for elucidating my knowledge and sorry for my ignorance. I got
              that factoid from the SFCTA web pages on the topic.

              All the more reason for any implementation to result in revenues dedicated
              to transit and other alternatives, mitigating the impacts of the
              automobile and transforming automobile-first environments.

              Jason

              On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, bruun@... wrote:

> [...]
              >>> leases from the government is the current trend.
              >>>
              >>> As I understand it, this is how that currently works. The lessee/toll
              >>> road operator has to maintain the roadway to a certain standard set by
              >>> the government, and a government oversight committee usually has some
              >>> say in toll rates, but the lessee gets a monopoly on the route and can
              >>> keep the profits. Sort of like a utility, only the government
              >>> ultimately owns the land and can revoke the lease if the private
              >>> company isn't following all the terms of the lease. The leases are
              >>> generally 25 years or more.
              >>>
              >>> As states look for ways to pay for highway maintenance, I think there
              >>> will be pressure to allow more interstates that are not currently toll
              >>> roads to become toll roads. No one really wants to do it, but we've
              >>> dug a hole and have few options. I don't think the US is ready to

            • Ed Beighe
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 9, 2008
                wrote:

                > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Jet Graphics"
                > <Jetgraphics@> wrote:
                > >the funding for most paved roads is derived from taxation on petroleum
                > consumption
                >
                > Not exactly, but close....
                > The state and local governments followed a similar pattern to the
                > federal government.

                Arizona has a (pretty standard) 19.4 cents per gallon,
                and no sales tax on gasoline.
                Here in fast growing Maricopa county (Phoenix metro area) we already
                have had a 0.5% general sales tax for years and years to fund highway
                construction.
                Now we are told this isn't enough, so a special interest group (with
                the support of the governor)is pushing a plan for ballot initiative
                that would add ANOTHER full percent to the general sales tax.
                (this would cause sales tax in the city of Phoenix, for example, to be
                9.3% -- among the highest sales tax in the nation).

                The group (heavy construction companies and whatnot) backing this
                proposal calls this a comprehensive transportation plan, including
                bus, trains, etc. However, the large majority of the money is
                earmarked for road construction.

                The governor even cooked up a secret deal with home builder's lobby
                (it leaked) for them to escape any sort of impact fees. (Sheesh, this
                sounds like some sort of conspiracy theory -- but I'm not making this
                stuff up!). The governor even stated flatly that this proposal (sales
                taxes) is the "only way" to raise the money -- in other words, use tax
                increases were for some reason impossible.

                http://azbikelaw.org/blog/deal-to-increase-sales-tax-to-build-roads/