Re: GM: Trucks out, cars in (CNN, June 3)

  • Tuomo Valkonen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
      On 2008-06-03, Randall Ghent <rghent@...> wrote:
      > Very interesting story on CNN today. The subheader is: "Automaker plans to
      > shut 4 pickup and SUV plants, build more fuel-efficient vehicles, and may
      > dump the Hummer brand."
      > http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/03/news/companies/gm_announcement/index.htm?cnn=yes
      > By the way, does anyone know roughly how long it would take to charge the
      > Chevy Volt via pedal-powered generator?

      By my quick calculation, 133 hours. According to Wikipedia [1], the Volt
      has a 16kWh battery. According to an article about a pedal-powered
      supercomputer [2], 10 bicyclists could power a 1.2kW computer for 20min.
      So as a lone bicyclist, you might be able to provide a power of 120 Watts
      (but but not for many hours on stretch). 16kWh/0.12kW makes 133 hours.

      I think I'd have cycled where I wanted to go before managing to recharge
      that car.

      On the hand, with slight advances on computer power usage (that are
      already there in laptops), you might be able to power your desktop
      computer by cycling simultaneously...

      [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

      [2]: http://www.gizmag.com/mit-cycling-human-powered-computation/8503/

      --
      Tuomo
    • Carlosfelipe Pardo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
        Randy wrote:

        By the way, does anyone know roughly how long it would take to charge the
        Chevy Volt via pedal-powered generator? The car is a plug-in
        hybrid expected out in 2010 and will apparently drive 40 miles on a charge
        without using any gasoline. The pedal-powered generators that I'm referring
        to are here: www.sciencesharewar
        e.com It would be very amusing to see a
        bicycle-powered car, and of course the lack of exercise problem would be
        solved!

        CFP: I am guessing that the pedal power needed is much more than the
        actual pedaling on a heavy bike to ride the 40 miles... but that
        comparison would be interesting: how much more pedaling (energy
        expenditure) is needed to power an electric car.... but I can't help in
        that....