GM: Trucks out, cars in (CNN, June 3)

  • Randall Ghent
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
      Very interesting story on CNN today. The subheader is: "Automaker plans to
      shut 4 pickup and SUV plants, build more fuel-efficient vehicles, and may
      dump the Hummer brand."
      http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/03/news/companies/gm_announcement/index.htm?cnn=yes
      By the way, does anyone know roughly how long it would take to charge the
      Chevy Volt via pedal-powered generator? The car is a plug-in
      hybrid expected out in 2010 and will apparently drive 40 miles on a charge
      without using any gasoline. The pedal-powered generators that I'm referring
      to are here: www.scienceshareware.com It would be very amusing to see a
      bicycle-powered car, and of course the lack of exercise problem would be
      solved!

      PS - I'm not actually proposing this as a "solution" -- so no need
      to respond with explanations of why a pedal-powered car wouldn't actually
      improve urban quality of life, prevent people from being killed, allow for
      high-quality public space, etc. :)

      Best,

      Randy

      --
      Randall Ghent
      Conference Coordinator

    • Tuomo Valkonen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
        On 2008-06-03, Randall Ghent <rghent@...> wrote:
        > Very interesting story on CNN today. The subheader is: "Automaker plans to
        > shut 4 pickup and SUV plants, build more fuel-efficient vehicles, and may
        > dump the Hummer brand."
        > http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/03/news/companies/gm_announcement/index.htm?cnn=yes
        > By the way, does anyone know roughly how long it would take to charge the
        > Chevy Volt via pedal-powered generator?

        By my quick calculation, 133 hours. According to Wikipedia [1], the Volt
        has a 16kWh battery. According to an article about a pedal-powered
        supercomputer [2], 10 bicyclists could power a 1.2kW computer for 20min.
        So as a lone bicyclist, you might be able to provide a power of 120 Watts
        (but but not for many hours on stretch). 16kWh/0.12kW makes 133 hours.

        I think I'd have cycled where I wanted to go before managing to recharge
        that car.

        On the hand, with slight advances on computer power usage (that are
        already there in laptops), you might be able to power your desktop
        computer by cycling simultaneously...

        [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

        [2]: http://www.gizmag.com/mit-cycling-human-powered-computation/8503/

        --
        Tuomo
      • Carlosfelipe Pardo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
          Randy wrote:

          By the way, does anyone know roughly how long it would take to charge the
          Chevy Volt via pedal-powered generator? The car is a plug-in
          hybrid expected out in 2010 and will apparently drive 40 miles on a charge
          without using any gasoline. The pedal-powered generators that I'm referring
          to are here: www.sciencesharewar
          e.com It would be very amusing to see a
          bicycle-powered car, and of course the lack of exercise problem would be
          solved!

          CFP: I am guessing that the pedal power needed is much more than the
          actual pedaling on a heavy bike to ride the 40 miles... but that
          comparison would be interesting: how much more pedaling (energy
          expenditure) is needed to power an electric car.... but I can't help in
          that....