Free buses in Hasselt and Whidbey Island, Washington

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2008
      Having just come across a reference to Hasselt, I thought I'd send
      along a couple of links to fairly recent information on how that
      Belgian city's public mobility plan, including a free bus network, is
      working out (with apologies to Rick Risemberg for muscling in on his
      annual Hasselt posting!).

      First, a Wikipedia article including, among other things, a history of
      increased ridership over the years since the free bus network was put
      in place:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport_in_Hasselt

      Second, an in-depth article from the British Columbia blog The Tyee on
      Hasselt:

      No Hassle Transit? Try Hasselt :: Views :: thetyee.ca

      http://thetyee.ca/Views/2007/07/09/NoFares3/

      ...and another well-written Tyee article on fare-free transit on
      Whidbey Island in northwest Washington state:

      Next Door to BC, the Bus Is Free :: Views :: thetyee.ca

      http://thetyee.ca/Views/2007/07/06/NoFares2/

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada