BikeCity in Vienna // Re: [carfree_cities] Re:Bicycle City Link

  • Markus Heller
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2008
      I wonder if they know the existing small "BikeCity" in Vienna ?
      They don`t mention it on their website.

      The term "City" is too big for what is build in Vienna - only one building -
      but they have experience with the demand / marketing: There were 5,400
      registrations for 99 flats, says the initiator, Christoph Chorherr, in his
      blog ...
      http://chorherr.twoday.net/stories/4417870/ (in German, Nov 2007)
      He explains there:
      - Due to this success there is a plan for a 2nd bike city, called "swim &
      bike" (because it has a pool on the roof)
      - the parking places for cars (usually in Vienna it is 1:1) are reduced to
      about 0.5 : 1.0)
      - the saved money (from this less car parking) is invested into better
      housing and bike infrastructure
      - the investor for both projects is GESIBA

      Unfortunately, Chorherr avoids the term "carfree", but nevertheless he is
      successful in Vienna ... he is also the initiator of the carfree project
      "Nordmanngasse" in Vienna-Floridsdorf.
      http://www.autofrei-wohnen.de/ProjekteAusland.html#wien-nordmanngasse

      Chorherr should be invited into the AB of bicyclecity.com.

      More links to the Vienna BikeCity (all in German):
      - https://www.gesiba.at/cgi-bin/wohnbau2.pl?id=32
      Investor`s page, with picture

      - http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=3294141
      This press article (April 8, 2008) says, for the 2nd BikeCity are 4,000
      registrations for 161 housing units. In July it should be finished. There
      are only 49 car parkings for these 161 units. (= less than 0.3, so still
      "car-reduced", but close to "carfree" according to our definition). More
      projects like this are possible, says Vienna`s "Building Minister".

      - another article from the same newspaper (Sep 19, 2007, they removed it
      from the web) said, that in the 1st BikeCity they provide 296 bike parkings
      (for 99 units). Also they will offer CarSharing, bike work shop (for
      self-helper?) and so on

      - http://www.wien.gv.at/mdb/gr/2005/gr-052-w-2005-01-27-041.htm
      Chorherr explains the idea of BikeCity in this protocol of the city
      parliament (Jan 2005)
      (continue on next pages)

      cheers from Berlin
      Markus