Re:Bicycle City Link

  • Gus Yates
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2008
      I visited the Bicycle City booth at the International Ecocities
      Conference in San Francisco at the end of April (where incidentally,
      I gave a presentation on carfree cities). The "let's build it" tone
      of the Bicycle City website sounds a lot like the material on our
      CarFree City, USA website, but with a specific focus on building a
      bicycle-focused community rather than a more generally carfree
      community. Unlike CarFree City, USA, however, BC clearly has a
      significant source of funding. I inquired about that and learned that
      the founder had just sold a business and was bankrolling the effort.
      Based on my chat at the booth, I recently received an e-mail inviting
      me to become an "advisor" to BC, which I might do. From what I can
      tell, they are implementing a broad geographic search for prospective
      sites to build their first community.

      Because a "bicycle city" would also be a carfree city, I support
      their efforts. I think urban design that emphasizes proximity and
      optimizes pedestrian and public transportation options in addition to
      cycling is a more robust strategy. But bikes are great, and I hope
      they succeed.

      Gus Yates

      Gus Yates, President
      CarFree City, USA