Bicycle City Link

    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2008
      Interesting link that showed up in the Google stack on Bicycle Fixation:

      http://www.bicyclecity.com/index.php

      Sounds like they're trying to fund and build a greenfields carfree-
      city site. Anyone here been in touch with them? Know anything?
      Sounds like they're working to put it on the ground.

      Or is it just slick hype?

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Gus Yates
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2008
        I visited the Bicycle City booth at the International Ecocities
        Conference in San Francisco at the end of April (where incidentally,
        I gave a presentation on carfree cities). The "let's build it" tone
        of the Bicycle City website sounds a lot like the material on our
        CarFree City, USA website, but with a specific focus on building a
        bicycle-focused community rather than a more generally carfree
        community. Unlike CarFree City, USA, however, BC clearly has a
        significant source of funding. I inquired about that and learned that
        the founder had just sold a business and was bankrolling the effort.
        Based on my chat at the booth, I recently received an e-mail inviting
        me to become an "advisor" to BC, which I might do. From what I can
        tell, they are implementing a broad geographic search for prospective
        sites to build their first community.

        Because a "bicycle city" would also be a carfree city, I support
        their efforts. I think urban design that emphasizes proximity and
        optimizes pedestrian and public transportation options in addition to
        cycling is a more robust strategy. But bikes are great, and I hope
        they succeed.

        Gus Yates

        Gus Yates, President
        CarFree City, USA