Think 'Out of the Box'

  • Tom Farr
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2008
      Philadelphia, PA
      May 16, 2008
      Tom Farr, director, Better Times, inc. a nonprofit association.

      We all know cycling is great – and, bicycles save gas, reduce traffic
      congestion, fight global warming and make us fit and trim instead of
      fat. Clearly, the world would be much better off if millions more rode
      bikes.

      And, we all know that the 700 million cars will soon be over a billion
      as China and India continue their economic progress; everyone loves
      their cars – the power, the freedom and the sexy designs. But, the
      economic resources expended on cars, their roads and their fuel has
      grown beyond the point of rational justification. Societies around
      the globe want more cars, more fuel and more roads as desperately as
      the addict wants his fix.

      So, what's going to happen as gas prices continue to rise?

      This morning, I heard on CNN that Christiane Amanpour, their renowned
      Chief International Correspondent, rides a bike to work – but, not
      today, it is raining. Let me tell you about a concept we are
      promoting at Better Times.

      "Roadways for People" are enclosed and elevated roadways for bicycles,
      pedestrians and small electric scooters. The reason we are so excited
      about them is that they are pre-designed modular components; they are
      simply `assembled' to form a roadway that can run over existing
      streets, rivers, train tracks and parks. This means: THEY ARE VERY
      INEXPENSIVE. THEY DO NOT DISRUPT THE COMMUNITY DURING CONSTRUCTION.
      Because they are elevated, they don't compete with the cars or trucks
      or buses. WE WANT PEOPLE RIDING BIKES – WE DON'T NEED TO START A WAR
      with car drivers fighting over limited resources (space on the asphalt).

      If a Roadway for People network existed in New York City, Christiane
      Amanpour could have ridden her bike to work because the rain wouldn't
      have affected her (since the roadway is enclosed); she could also ride
      this winter in a snowstorm (and laugh at the cars stuck on the streets
      below); and, she would not become one of the 15,000 struck by cars
      each year in New York.

      Here's the problem: people think in a box. A different concept = A
      nut talking about a stupid idea. Scientists have found only 2% of
      people will give serious consideration to a new concept; 97% will run
      away. If you happen to be one of those 2%, check out our website
      where this concept is discussed in great detail; you will see
      pictures, designs, an economic analysis and much more! Can you
      imagine, within 10 years 850 million people will be riding 2.6
      trillion miles each year on 3,300 Roadway for People networks in urban
      areas around the world. This will prevent 85 billion gallons of
      gasoline from being burned.

      Give it a try – think out of the box.

      Warmest regards and may you have good weather and find a safe road for
      biking,
      Tom Farr
      Better Times
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2008
        Hi All,

        I just approved a post from Tom Farr regarding overhead
        enclosed bikeways.

        Nobody will be surprised to know that I'm opposed to anything
        overhead. Just move the cars off the streets and there will
        be plenty of room for bikes.

        As a reminder, see:

        http://carfree.com/cpix/9nyc0229.jpg

        for why this is not something to do to your city.

        If you're worried about the rain/snow/sleet/sun,
        just build arcades:

        http://carfree.com/cpix/8blg0113.jpg

        Problem solved, 500 years ago.

        Best,