Peak oil is here

    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2008
      Hi All,

      Current CNN headline:

      Oil rises as Saudi Arabia nixes Bush plea

      The OPEC nation rejects calls from the President to increase production as oil reaches a new record near $128 a barrel.

      http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/16/markets/oil/index.htm?cnn=yes

      "According to the White House, Saudia Arabia doesn't see enough demand to increase production."

      Yeah, right. Not sufficient demand at $128/bbl.

      This means, of course, that Saudi already has the valves
      wide open. Since most other oil provinces are already in
      decline, we have indeed seem peak oil in the rear view
      mirror. It was about two years ago. We're only very
      slightly down from the peak now, but demand continues
      to increase, and we are in the twilight zone.

      I expect we're going to be very busy building carfree
      cities starting on January 20, 2009, when Obama will
      be inaugurated.

      Best,

      Joel

      ----- ### -----
    • Tom Farr
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2008
        Philadelphia, PA
        May 16, 2008
        Tom Farr, director, Better Times, inc. a nonprofit association.

        We all know cycling is great – and, bicycles save gas, reduce traffic
        congestion, fight global warming and make us fit and trim instead of
        fat. Clearly, the world would be much better off if millions more rode
        bikes.

        And, we all know that the 700 million cars will soon be over a billion
        as China and India continue their economic progress; everyone loves
        their cars – the power, the freedom and the sexy designs. But, the
        economic resources expended on cars, their roads and their fuel has
        grown beyond the point of rational justification. Societies around
        the globe want more cars, more fuel and more roads as desperately as
        the addict wants his fix.

        So, what's going to happen as gas prices continue to rise?

        This morning, I heard on CNN that Christiane Amanpour, their renowned
        Chief International Correspondent, rides a bike to work – but, not
        today, it is raining. Let me tell you about a concept we are
        promoting at Better Times.

        "Roadways for People" are enclosed and elevated roadways for bicycles,
        pedestrians and small electric scooters. The reason we are so excited
        about them is that they are pre-designed modular components; they are
        simply `assembled' to form a roadway that can run over existing
        streets, rivers, train tracks and parks. This means: THEY ARE VERY
        INEXPENSIVE. THEY DO NOT DISRUPT THE COMMUNITY DURING CONSTRUCTION.
        Because they are elevated, they don't compete with the cars or trucks
        or buses. WE WANT PEOPLE RIDING BIKES – WE DON'T NEED TO START A WAR
        with car drivers fighting over limited resources (space on the asphalt).

        If a Roadway for People network existed in New York City, Christiane
        Amanpour could have ridden her bike to work because the rain wouldn't
        have affected her (since the roadway is enclosed); she could also ride
        this winter in a snowstorm (and laugh at the cars stuck on the streets
        below); and, she would not become one of the 15,000 struck by cars
        each year in New York.

        Here's the problem: people think in a box. A different concept = A
        nut talking about a stupid idea. Scientists have found only 2% of
        people will give serious consideration to a new concept; 97% will run
        away. If you happen to be one of those 2%, check out our website
        where this concept is discussed in great detail; you will see
        pictures, designs, an economic analysis and much more! Can you
        imagine, within 10 years 850 million people will be riding 2.6
        trillion miles each year on 3,300 Roadway for People networks in urban
        areas around the world. This will prevent 85 billion gallons of
        gasoline from being burned.

        Give it a try – think out of the box.

        Warmest regards and may you have good weather and find a safe road for
        biking,
        Tom Farr
        Better Times
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2008
          http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/008025.html

          Gas guzzlers are losing their resale value--fast.

          Via Calculated Risk, USAToday is reporting that SUV resale value is
          plummeting.

          Wholesale prices on big SUVs such as Chevrolet Tahoes, Ford Expeditions and
          Toyota Sequoias are down 17% from a year ago. Full-size pickups have fallen
          as much as 15%...

          The reason, obviously, is that soaring gas prices are souring car buyers on
          the big guzzlers. When a gallon of gas was cheaper than a cuppa joe, size
          and power seemed like nifty luxuries. But with gas nudging $4, the luxuries
          have become albatrosses.

          There's absolutely no reason for "I-told-you-so's" here. Cars are the
          second largest purchase most people ever make, next to their homes, so rapid
          depreciation will be a serious hit to a lot of families. Still, there's not
          all that much to be done: SUV owners, whether they knew it or not, were
          making a bet that oil would stay cheap for a good, long while. It didn't,
          and they're paying the price for a bet gone bad.

          The only thing that we can do, collectively, is to stop assuming that oil
          will be cheaper in the future than it is today. Maybe it will be; but the
          experience of the last 8 years suggests otherwise. Still, despite price
          hikes that outstripped most predictions, there are all sorts of decisions --
          from what kind of cars to buy, to what kinds of neighbourhoods to build, to
          what kind of transportation investments we should pay for -- that are being
          made under the tacit assumption that gas prices will come back to earth.

          That's a risky bet. Just ask someone who's trying to trade in a Toyota
          Sequoia.
        • Matt Hohmeister
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2008
            You sound pretty sure here--and quite frankly, I hope you're right. I
            guess we'll find out in November how smart [or dumb] American voters are.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2008
              Hi All,

              I just approved a post from Tom Farr regarding overhead
              enclosed bikeways.

              Nobody will be surprised to know that I'm opposed to anything
              overhead. Just move the cars off the streets and there will
              be plenty of room for bikes.

              As a reminder, see:

              http://carfree.com/cpix/9nyc0229.jpg

              for why this is not something to do to your city.

              If you're worried about the rain/snow/sleet/sun,
              just build arcades:

              http://carfree.com/cpix/8blg0113.jpg

              Problem solved, 500 years ago.

              Best,