Carfree in Dallas, TX

  • Patrick Kennedy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2008
      Say it isn't so...

      As an urban designer of the opinion that a city is not yet healthy until
      one can live in it any way they choose (including sans auto), I've
      decided to conduct a personal experiment to see if it's possible yet to
      live in Dallas, Texas, one of the most sprawling and auto-oriented
      cities in the country (world?), car-free. As a matter of semantics,
      Texans would probably consider it "car-less," but I feel too liberated
      to attach a pejorative connotation.

      I moved from the Northeast to the Sunbelt for just the opportunity to
      help mold "throw-away" cities into something more lasting and
      sustainable. My company moved into the base of a 1950s tower that was
      going to be converted into a parking garage to show their commitment to
      downtown. So now it's my personal turn. I no longer have a car and
      moved into a loft in downtown, which has come quite a long way since I
      first moved here a little over five and a half years ago. I have a
      grocery store in the ground floor of my building, work is a four-block
      walk, and I have the DART light rail, TRE commuter rail, and the MATA
      trolley all within a few blocks as well.

      A british professor recommended I blog about my experiences except for
      someone of the computer generation I'm remarkably not the most computer
      savvy. Does anybody have any recommendations about starting a blog? I
      have checked out some of the free blog sites, but the graphics seem a
      bit clunky and I'd like to drive the graphical content, as I consider
      the graphics to be as pertinent as the commentary.

      Patrick.J.Kennedy, AICP CNU| Associate - Urban Design & Planning |

      RTKL Associates Inc. | 1717 Pacific Avenue | Dallas, TX 75201

      214.468.7679 Direct | 214.871.8877 Fax | www.rtkl.com
      The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any of the information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by telephone at (214) 871-8877 or by response via e-mail and permanently delete the original email and any copies.