Ontario petition against cars

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2008
      From the Streets are for people! web site ( http://www.streetsareforpeople.org/blog/
      ) via Treehugger, a petition to the Ontario legislature against car
      culture:

      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/699005360

      Every time another poor automaker comes begging for money our
      governments cough it up. $17 million here, $200 million there. Then
      - "sorry, we don't have money for transit or bicycle infrastructure."
      The auto industry dominates our economy. It also destroys our our
      ability to live and breathe on this planet. The government is
      supposed to protect the public health. It's time our money stopped
      supporting the very thing that is killing us, and was put to positive
      use. Let's put Ontario to work in sectors that need working on.

      That's the essence of this petition.

      Here's how it came about:

      Our friend Jon divorced his car. We painted it all white and made it
      into a petition. The text on the windshield reads:

      We the undersigned do hereby demand that NOT ONE MORE DOLLAR go to
      promote, support, or perpetuate CAR CULTURE. We want bike lanes,
      public transit and a train system. We want our public space back. We
      want local food, clean air, sustainable industry, a liveable future
      for our children, & an end to oil wars. We want to dance in the
      street. We want a government that values life over money.

      More than 4000 people have signed the car and the paper version of the
      same petition. However, we discovered that petitions must be
      submitted in a certain formality of language to be accepted by the
      government. So we were forced to re-write the petition as you can
      read and sign here.

      This petition car will be delivered to the Ontario Government on April
      22, Earth Day, with a parade from Belleview Park in Kensington Market,
      up Augusta Ave to College St., then east to Queen's Park. We'll leave
      at 1pm, hoping to arrive at Queen's Park by 2pm. Then we'll head
      inside to hear the reading of the formal petition at 3pm.

      Please join us.

      Here it is:

      TO The Legislative Assembly of Ontario:

      WHEREAS Car Culture has destroyed and alienated our communities
      and dominated our public space; WHEREAS equitable mobility is a right,
      and transportation is a need to all, including the young, the elderly,
      and those who refuse to drive; WHEREAS Ontario is sorely lacking in
      infrastructure for active and public transportation (ie. In most of
      the province there is no choice but to drive a car); WHEREAS a
      reported 26% of Ontario's economy is directly linked to an auto-
      manufacturing sector that year after year has proven volatile and
      unsustainable, requiring billions of dollars in government loans and
      subsidies under the constant threat of laying-off thousands of workers
      at a time; WHEREAS Ontario has covered hundreds of thousands of
      acres of our country's most fertile farmland with concrete highways
      and suburban housing developments, and whereas our imported food
      supply is increasingly threatened in this time of climate change;
      WHEREAS The Ministry of the Environment issued 39 Smog Alerts in 2007,
      a year with 86 days of air quality at worse than 30 AQI (Air Quality
      Index); WHEREAS pollution from smog is directly linked to asthma,
      breast cancer, leukemia, and the sedentary lifestyle of the auto-
      dependant is linked to the epidemics of diabetes and obesity that
      increasingly plague our country; WHEREAS Toronto Public Health reports
      that 440 deaths per year in the city of Toronto are directly linked to
      pollution from cars, and Ontario Medical Association estimates 5800
      deaths yearly in Ontario from smog; WHEREAS the Canadian Institute of
      Child Health sites traffic injuries as the leading cause of injury and
      death in Canadian school children; WHEREAS billions of dollars are
      currently spent on the health system to treat accident victims,
      victims of smog, treatment of diseases linked to our societies
      reliance on the automobile; WHEREAS financial decisions made by the
      Ontario Government have a drastic impact on global climate change and
      the ability of our biosphere to support life.

      WE the undersigned petition the Legislative Assembly of Ontario as
      follows:

      1) Stop any tax-breaks, subsidies or loans to the automotive sector.
      2) Create a public awareness campaign exposing the ill effects of
      automobile dependency. 3) Ban the advertising of automobiles (just
      like cigarettes). 4) Immediately allocate money to pedestrian and
      bicycle infrastructure, public transit, and an inter-city train
      system, including programs to help shift our labour force into these
      sectors. 5) Amend the Highway Traffic act making street closures for
      community festivals distinct from closures for general road
      construction. 6) Put a halt to development projects that do not
      support the use of public and active transportation. 7) Create
      programs to encourage the development of small-scale, mixed organic
      and natural farming of food for the local market, with tax breaks for
      hiring labour instead of labour-saving, pollution-creating machines.
      8) Measure the cost of all government spending with a triple bottom
      line, (including social, environmental and economic impact.) 9) Stop
      subsidizing the destruction of our farmland, the poisoning of our air
      and the general ill health of our people. 10) Make policy decisions
      considering the value of life over the value of money.

      for more info visit http://www.streetsareforpeople.org
      WHEREAS Car Culture has destroyed and alienated our communities and
      dominated our public space; WHEREAS equitable mobility is a right,
      and transportation is a need to all, including the young, the elderly,
      and those who refuse to drive; WHEREAS Ontario is sorely lacking
      in infrastructure for active and public transportation (ie. In most of
      the province there is no choice but to drive a car); WHEREAS a
      reported 26% of Ontario%u2019s economy is directly linked to an auto-
      manufacturing sector that year after year has proven volatile and
      unsustainable, requiring billions of dollars in government loans and
      subsidies under the constant threat of laying-off thousands of workers
      at a time; WHEREAS Ontario has covered hundreds of thousands of
      acres of our country%u2019s most fertile farmland with concrete
[...]

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada