Monteal block measurements

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2008
      This is a minor point, but I just realised there was a problem with
      the measurements I gave in my last note in the Fused Grid posting,
      for a typical residential block in Montreal, namely 500 by 100 metres.

      I was using Google Earth's distance scale at the bottom left of the
      view window to get an approximate measurement, and it turns out there
      is a glitch with the distances the application displays: they are
      twice as large as they should be. In fact, a typical Montreal city
      block is not as horrifically long as I made it seem: on its long side
      it is around 250 metres and 50 on its short side, which even so makes
      for a pretty long block to walk before you can make a turn one way or
      the other. Mid-block shortcuts would still be a good thing, but one
      or two spaced somewhere around 125 to 80 m could be a good thing.

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada