typographical problems in last posting

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 8:06 PM
      I just noticed that in my last posting about Fused Grids, some of the
      text comes across as if there is something missing because the Yahoo!
      software stripped out the long dashes (aka m dashes) I habitually use
      to set off parenthetical thoughts. Apologies to those who may have
      been confused by what looked like sloppy syntax; I shall have to
      remember to replace them with double hyphens when sending emails
      henceforth...

      Here are the problem sentences, corrected to improve legibility:

      Paragraph 3, second sentence:

      Clearly, it could also be applied with varying degrees of success to
      suburban neighbourhoods -- text and links on the website refer to an
      experiment in the southwest Ontario town of Stratford --, but without
      extensive rebuilding and redensification, it's unlikely you could go
      all the way to eliminating dependence on private automobiles in such
      cases.

      Paragraph 3, last sentence:

      Nonetheless, he does seem to imply -- I may be misunderstanding him
      here -- that areas blocked off to cars would need to lose some
      buildings to become "green" (i.e. park-like) areas, though that could
      in principle only apply to the asphalt-paved street surfaces themselves.

      Paragraph 6, first sentence:

      As I said in my earlier postings, I am surprised that most well-
      publicised pedestrianisation efforts -- Copenhagen for example, and a
      large number of other carfree areas listed on the Wikipedia page at
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_carfree_places -- seem to
      concentrate on shopping streets and not on residential areas.

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada