Re: [carfree_cities] Negotiating carfree districts (part one)

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2008
      I have made two tries at sending a response to the original message
      in this thread, but for some reason it has not shown up on the
      mailing list. At Joel's suggestion, I have broken it up into two
      emails to see if that works. The first part gives some general links
      to conversions that have been successfully or unsuccessfully proposed
      in Montreal; the second part deals with the gradual pedestrianisation
      of parts of downtown Copenhagen and architect-planner Jan Gehl's role
      in the process over the past four decades.

      I now see that the second part immediately went through on the Yahoo!
      list but my first email didn't, so I'm going to break it down again
      to see what does get through and where the problem is located.

      Here then is part 1a, with the rest in a following email...

      On 1-Apr-08, at 3:15 PM, Jason Meggs wrote:

      Hi,

      Does anyone have any examples of protocols that have worked in terms of
      negotiating carfree areas/districts in existing car-full places?

      E.g., in a case where neighbors or businesses have long-term use of
      motor
      vehicles and even built infrastructure for housing motor vehicles,
      obviously at least some of them will want some kind of plan for or help
      with the shift. How has this happened in the past? How best can it be
      done in the future?

      This raises the question in my head of how many carfree conversions
      anywhere � if any � (as opposed to carfree areas from scratch) are
      actually mixed use rather than just commercial areas that have been
      converted to carfree status.

      Just to give an example close to home (for me), two carfree projects
      slated for Montreal this summer are both commercial areas. One
      project aims to close two streets in touristy Old Montreal for most
      of the day every day this coming summer:

      http://montrealrealestateblog.com/old-montreal-pedestrian-only/

      The other is to close 2 km in the Gay Village segment of Saint-
      Catherine Street to car traffic Between June 24th and Labour Day
      weekend in the beginning of September:

      http://spacingmontreal.ca/2008/03/06/the-pedestrianization-of-sainte-
      catherine/

      � also:

      http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=baa95c96-
      b261-40ab-8f80-1ffb25ee960f&k=74532

      +-+-+-+-

      The rest of my reply is in the message called "Negotiating carfree
      districts (part two)".

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada