Re: [carfree_cities] Negotiating carfree districts (part two)

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 5:26 PM
      Here follows the second part of my reply...

      -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
      +-+-+-+-

      The best example of a conversion process I can think of would be
      Strøget, the main carfree street in Copenhagen ( http://
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strøget ). Below are a number of interesting
      links that talk about the history of pedestrianisation efforts in
      Copenhagen and the role played by architect/urban planner Jan Gehl
      ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Gehl ) in planning the process.
      Even here, carfree conversion essentially affects only main streets
      (cf. the map in the first link below; click to enlarge it) and no
      districts are carfree as such...

      Elements of a something like a protocol can be found in the 2002
      Metropolis Magazine article "Pedestrian Cities. Encourage walking and
      cycling. Discourage cars and parking." with its summary of
      "Copenhagen's 10-step program":

      http://www.metropolismag.com/html/content_0802/ped/index.html

      Some elements can also be gleaned from a look at the "vision &
      ideology" and "services" pages at Jan Gehl's architectural firm's web
      site:

      http://www.gehlarchitects.dk/

      In this interview in the same number of Metropolis, Gehl gives a nice
      summary of the process as it took place in Copenhagen:

      http://www.metropolismag.com/html/content_0802/ped/index_b.html

      Finally, a couple of interesting links having to do with work Gehl is
      doing in New York City:

      http://www.streetsblog.org/2007/11/07/its-not-a-law-of-nature/

      http://www.streetsblog.org/2007/11/06/envisioning-an-upper-west-side-
      streets-renaissance/

      Again, Gehl's work is restricted to pedestrianising main streets and
      "humanising" the streetscape without converting neighbourhoods
      wholesale to carfree status, but seems useful as a source of
      inspiration for developing conversion protocols, something that could
      be taken into account along with Joel's proposed protocol.

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada