"Walkable" TOD for those with a Mobility Challenge

  • redrobot300
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi,

      I am working on some TOD designs for a Neighbourhood in Edmonton
      Canada and a co-worker raised an interesting question. "What is a
      reasonable walking distance for someone in a wheel chair to get to a
      major transit centre?" This got me thinking of people with walkers
      and other forms of mobility challenges.

      In general a 5 to 10 (400 - 800 meters) minute walk for someone
      without any mobility issues.

      What about someone in a wheel chair? how far would they be willing
      to go? Someone in a walker?

      Is there anyone out there who has dealt with these issues?
      Can you recommend any case studies, readings, etc...?

      Thanks a bunch.

      Jeremy Schiff