Re: Debunking "green" vehicles

  • kyle3054
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      Jason Meggs <jmeggs@...> wrote:
      > does anyone have recommended
      > studies/resources analyzing the various "green" vehicles in terms of
      life
      > cycle analysis

      Yes. See here - http://www.ilea.org/lcas/taharaetal2001.html

      Essentially, hybrids take slightly more energy and cause slightly more
      emissions to manufacture than do conventional cars, and electric
      considerably more. Their emissions after manufacture then depend on
      how much they're driven, and for the electrics, how the electricity is
      got. If you electric car gets power from a coal-fired station, it's
      basically the same as driving a regular car - it's just that the
      emissions are all wherever the power station is rather than out of
      your pipe. An electric vehicle powered by renewable energy, however,
      would have a relatively small impact while in use.

      In the end, using a tonne of metal to move one person is never going
      to very efficient...

      I'm ashamed to say I got my driver's licence today. Doesn't mean I'll
      be driving, though.

      I think cars are like firearms: everyone should know how to use them
      safely, but that does not mean everyone should own one, still less
      that everyone should use them every day.

      Cheers,
      Kyle
      http://greenwithagun.blogspot.com/