Debunking "green" vehicles

  • Jason Meggs
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      Besides the obvious problems with any cars, does anyone have recommended
      studies/resources analyzing the various "green" vehicles in terms of life
      cycle analysis (total carbon emissions, embedded and operating energy,
      toxic emissions associated with manufacture and operation, etc.)?

      E.g., this would include electric cars (including hybrids), hydrogen
      fuel-cell cars, etc.

      Thanks,

      Jason
    • kyle3054
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
        Jason Meggs <jmeggs@...> wrote:
        > does anyone have recommended
        > studies/resources analyzing the various "green" vehicles in terms of
        life
        > cycle analysis

        Yes. See here - http://www.ilea.org/lcas/taharaetal2001.html

        Essentially, hybrids take slightly more energy and cause slightly more
        emissions to manufacture than do conventional cars, and electric
        considerably more. Their emissions after manufacture then depend on
        how much they're driven, and for the electrics, how the electricity is
        got. If you electric car gets power from a coal-fired station, it's
        basically the same as driving a regular car - it's just that the
        emissions are all wherever the power station is rather than out of
        your pipe. An electric vehicle powered by renewable energy, however,
        would have a relatively small impact while in use.

        In the end, using a tonne of metal to move one person is never going
        to very efficient...

        I'm ashamed to say I got my driver's licence today. Doesn't mean I'll
        be driving, though.

        I think cars are like firearms: everyone should know how to use them
        safely, but that does not mean everyone should own one, still less
        that everyone should use them every day.

        Cheers,
        Kyle
        http://greenwithagun.blogspot.com/