what we're up against...

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
      See this hateful post:

      http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/03/where-not-to-li.html

      These are the Jeremy Clarkson wannabes:

      March 26, 2008

      Where Not To Live: Car-Free UK "Eco-Towns"

      By Jen Dunnaway

      Editor

      This sounds like my idea of hell: a city populated entirely by self-righteous pedestrians and cyclists, with senseless 15-mph speed limits for cars on the roads leading into it, and a center from which cars are prohibited entirely. The UK is hoping to make this grim prison-camp world a reality, with the establishment ten "eco-towns" throughout its countryside. While I think it'd be great to have some place to quarantine all the militant pedestrians, where they could hate on cars without marching out in front of them, "driver pressure groups" (bless them) are predicting that the eco-town project will simply become a platform from which to bully the rest of the motoring public. UK Housing Minister Caroline Flint says, "These developments will be exemplars for the rest of the world, not just the rest of the country." Yeah, great. It's exactly this kind of pompous banner-waving that's gotten New York and other US cities considering a "congestion tax" like the one so "successfully" imposed in London. Now that we're approaching the saturation point for laws persecuting smokers, the lobbyists and other professional busybodies are clearly casting around for the next acceptable group to persecute. Guess what: we're up.

      ----- ### -----
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
        Take heart. Know that when reasoned argument, even that with which you
        disagree, turns to rants like this you have your opponents rattled. You'll
        never win them all, but the people who should be celebrating cars - the
        intellectuals, the creatives, the elites - whether of education, class or
        wealth - have withered away. The car defenders have lost the middle ground.
        More and more those who proselytise against changing cities are coming from
        the outfield - not from the wilderness that breeds innovation, but from the
        isolating desert of autophilia. While city life improves, they fume in the
        ex-urbs, where - deprived of stimulation they enthuse about grotesque
        automobiles fuming at invented enemies.

        Before the rants began people reasoned and debated. Thus:

        Proslavery: A History of the Defense of Slavery in America, 1701-1840
        (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1987)

        Or see these and many other arguments against woman's suffrage:

        http://tinyurl.com/2v8m88

        ... but as the abolitionists and the suffragettes (and their supporters)
        began, after prolonged struggles, to win the middle ground, becoming common
        decency, so the language, and in some cases the actions, of those who saw
        themselves as losers, turned irrational and venomous or, like the antics of
        Jeremy Clarkson, increasingly comedic - helping through boyish antics to
        dissipate the frustrations of retreat along a broadening front.

        Best

        Simon

        On 26/3/08 18:07, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

        > See this hateful post:
        >
        > http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/03/where-not-to-li.html
        >
        > These are the Jeremy Clarkson wannabes:
        >

        > March 26, 2008
        >
        > Where Not To Live: Car-Free UK "Eco-Towns"
        >
        > By Jen Dunnaway
        >
        > Editor
        >
        > This sounds like my idea of hell: a city populated entirely by self-righteous
        > pedestrians and cyclists, with senseless 15-mph speed limits for cars on the
        > roads leading into it, and a center from which cars are prohibited entirely.
        > The UK is hoping to make this grim prison-camp world a reality, with the
        > establishment ten "eco-towns" throughout its countryside. While I think it'd
        > be great to have some place to quarantine all the militant pedestrians, where
        > they could hate on cars without marching out in front of them, "driver
        > pressure groups" (bless them) are predicting that the eco-town project will
        > simply become a platform from which to bully the rest of the motoring public.
        > UK Housing Minister Caroline Flint says, "These developments will be exemplars
        > for the rest of the world, not just the rest of the country." Yeah, great.
        > It's exactly this kind of pompous banner-waving that's gotten New York and
        > other US cities considering a "congestion tax" like the one so "successfully"
        > imposed in London. Now that we're approaching the saturation point for laws
        > persecuting smokers, the lobbyists and other professional busybodies are
        > clearly casting around for the next acceptable group to persecute. Guess what:
        > we're up.
        >

        > ----- ### -----
        > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
        > mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com

      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
          Take heart. Know that when reasoned argument, even that with which you
          disagree, turns to rants like this you have your opponents rattled. You'll
          never win them all, but the people who should be celebrating cars - the
          intellectuals, the creatives, the elites - whether of education, class or
          wealth - have withered away. The car defenders have lost the middle ground.
          More and more those who proselytise against changing cities are coming from
          the outfield - not from the wilderness that breeds innovation, but from the
          isolating desert of autophilia. While city life improves, they fume in the
          ex-urbs, where - deprived of stimulation they enthuse about grotesque
          automobiles excoriating invented enemies.

        • jackskellin9ton
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
            I think all those petrol heads should be welcoming car-lite eco-towns
            with open arms. Yes they might have to *shudder* walk a couple of
            hundred metres to the shops. But since everyone with any sense will be
            walking/cycling/taking public transport, there'll be a lot less traffic
            for them to get stuck behind.

            Chris

            ecotownZ.co.uk
          • Erik Sandblom
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
              --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Simon Baddeley
              <s.j.baddeley@...> wrote:

              > Know that when reasoned argument, even that with which
              you
              > disagree, turns to rants like this you have your opponents rattled.

              Simon is right. Anti-pedestrian rants like this are actually a great
              ally. The best way to use them is to cite them -- most people will
              find the phrase "militant pedestrian" very funny if you just point it
              out to them.

              Before the Stockholm congestion tax was passed by referendum, a
              liberal tabloid (Expressen) published a column where the young lady
              noted the ridiculous notion, still peddled by extreme right wingers,
              that being green is just "chlorofyll communism".

              You can't make this stuff up, and we should treasure the gems the
              ranters give us.

              Erik Sandblom