Re: [carfree_cities] Cycling in Pedestrian Areas

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 20, 2008
      On Mar 20, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Michael Lewis wrote:

      > What would be the advantage to integrating bicyclists and pedestrians?
      > Why not have bicycle routes for bicyclists, who dismount and walk with
      > the pedestrians on pedestrian routes.

      Less duplication of infrastructure.

      > How would one "require" bicyclists to ravel slowly where pedestrians
      > are present? How would this be enforced?

      Seems to work fine in Japan--where, by the way, bikes were allowed on
      the sidewalks only recently.

      Jokers in Japan will sometimes vigorously ring the bell of a parked
      bicycle to startle friends who are walking ahead of them.

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Ian Fiddies
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 21, 2008
        It seems that most of the conflicts between cyclists and pedestrians happen when the two modes are separated. In Gröningen (NL) bikers and walkers share much of the central area without any sign of conflict. (Parked bikes in pedestrian areas is a problem though.)

        The only reason different transport types are separated in cities is car culture. Take away the car culture with the cars. I am personally happy to slow down on my bike when I'm in the crowded city centre. Think how desolate it would be with a city so traffic segregated that you could cycle though the centre at 22mph.
        /Ian Fiddies

        ________________________________

        http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 21, 2008
          See the Ravenna solution:

          http://www.carfree.com/design/02/pix/2rav2908.jpg

          Joel

          ----- ### -----
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 21, 2008
            On Mar 21, 2008, at 8:46 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

            > See the Ravenna solution:
            >
            > http://www.carfree.com/design/02/pix/2rav2908.jpg

            And the texture of the paving will help discourage speeding....

            http://www.bicyclefixation.com
            http://www.newcolonist.com
            http://www.rickrise.com

          • Robert J. Matter