Kevser Üstündag on Istanbul transportation

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2008
      An interesting video from the people at Streetfilms ( http://
      www.streetfilms.org ). Kevser Üstündag, a Turkish urban planner at
      Mimar Sinan University, is interviewed about urban planning for
      traffic management in Istanbul, with some mention of carfree areas
      being put in place in the city:

      http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/03/istanbul_learns.php#ch02

      From the Streetfilms page:

      "
      I recently visited Istanbul, Turkey and was struck immediately by the
      car traffic congestion. However, knowing that Istanbul hosted the
      World Carfree Conference last year, I set out to uncover what NYC can
      learn from a city with a population of 12 million plus people, 2.4
      million cars and at least 100,000 new vehicles each year.

      I met up with urban planner, World Carfree Network Advisory Board
      Member and local StreetStar, Kevser Üstündag. As a professor at the
      Architectural Faculty of Mimar Sinan Fine Art University in Istanbul,
      she teaches about the social, environmental and economical impacts of
      urban transportation planning. In this video she discusses the
      importance of adjusting urban planning to the needs of people -
      including public transportation, pedestrian only streets, and Car-
      free Sundays.

      "

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada