A Trip Down Market Street - 1905

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 8:51 PM
      Follow this link to a just under 10 minute long Youtube clip posted
      last December, showing a 1905 trip down San Francisco's Market
      Street, filmed from the front of a streetcar (and a wonderful
      complement to Joel's postcard collection):

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTxUTvpmoZM

      The poster added these remarks:

      San Francisco's main thoroughfare as seen from the front window of a
      Market Street cable car. I removed most of the rolling, this is the
      reason for the dissolves.
      The music is selections from Victor Herbert's The Red Mill - 1906.

      It is fascinating to see actual footage of street life at a point
      when automobiles were just beginning to match horse-drawn carriages
      in numbers on the streets. Most of the traffic, however, is foot
      traffic -- with a lone cyclist toward the middle of the clip -- and
      it is an astonishing, almost alien sight for 2008 eyes, to see how
      people on foot use the whole of the street without any hesitation.
      Notice also the streetcars and how they stop wherever someone needs
      to get on...

      Oh, for the days when we will have something like this again!

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada