Bogotá's Carfree day 2008 (or tax i day 2008, or bicycle day 2008, or m otorcycle day 2008)
- Even with the new mayor, Bogotá can't escape the mandate of having the
10th citiwide Carfree day today (thank God). When coming out this
morning to see what had changed, I noticed the following:
- There were no cars (duh... except for those of diplomats and
high-level government officials...not a very coherent message)
- There were too many motorcycles, taxis and traditional buses (see a
sample: http://flickr.com/photos/carlosfpardo/2247897607/ )
- There were lots of bicycles... mainly young people (which gives us
more hope), plus the ones who, like me, anyway take the bicycle to work
every day... a sample of this as well:
- Those who are not wearing a helmet are taken to a police officer and
scolded at for a short while, plus they have to sign their name in a
booklet (I still don't understand the signature part)... they are not
fined or taken anywhere, they're just told "remember to wear a helmet".
I also wrote a small column in the local newspaper, and comments in the
website have been: "lovely article" and "you crazy extremist"...
Interesting day... I hope there is more to tell after the day is over.
Coordinador de Proyecto- Project Coordinator
GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
Cl 93A # 14-17 of 708
Bogotá D.C., Colombia
Tel/fax: +57 (1) 236 2309 Mobile: +57 (3) 15 296 0662
(carlos.pardo@... www.sutp.org )