Recent links from Cycleliciousness (Copenhagen blog)

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2008
      From Cycleliciousness, the Copenhagen Bike Culture Blog:

      Debunking the Flat Country/Bike Country myth

      [Nicked and revised freely from the EU paper – "Cycling – a way
      forward for cities and towns"... hey, our tax money paid for it...]

      We often hear here at Cycliciousness that the reason that Denmark and
      the Netherlands in general and Copenhagen and Amsterdam in particular
      have such an advanced bike culture is because the two countries are

      We're not trying to debunk the myth that the countries are flat. They
      are. It's true. On a global scale, these two cities get all the press
      about having bike culture. It's massive in these two capitals.

      We felt the need to debunk the myth that it is ONLY these two cities
      that ride like the wind.

      Let's face it. Bike are used regularly almost everywhere in Europe.
      Mostly in Northern Europe, since in southern Europe the bike is often
      regarded as a child's plaything or a piece of sports equipment.

      So let's look at the oft overlooked cities and towns in Europe that
      enjoy a high level [compared to other regions] of bike usage.

      In Parma, in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, 19% of all journeys
      are made by bike. By comparison, the city of Davis, in California,
      has a figure of 17%, one of the highest in the US.

      And then there is Ferrera, Italy, about 50 km from Bologna. Here 31%
      of trips between home and work are biked.

      Then there is the fine town of Västerås in central Sweden. Icy cold
      during the winters but still, 33% of journeys are by bike.

      It rains quite often in Cambridge, UK. This doesn't discourage the
      inhabitants from making 27% of all journeys on two manpowered wheels.

      To the hills!
      If we're debunking flat myths, we simply must take a trip to
      Switzerland. The city of Basel is built on the steep banks of the
      Rhine and yet 23% of journies are made by bike.

      And in Bern, where many roads have a gradient on the steep-o-meter of
      7%, the percentage is 15%.

      In reality, there are not many situations which preclude the use of a
      bicycle. The only climatic features which have a really dissuasive
      influence on cyclists are pouring rain or blistering heat.

      Appropriate clothing and a suitable infrastructure on arrival greatly
      reduce the negative impact of atmospheric conditions which are far
      less compatible with daily cycling than is imagined.

      Hills are a not insignificant obstacles for somewhat untrained
      cyclists using old and unsuitable bicycles in towns where slopes with
      a more than 5 % gradient are long and numerous.

      Even under such circumstances, there is a potential for cycling, as
      can be seen from the following hilly towns: Trondheim (Norway) has
      reached a cycling rate of 8 % and has equipped itself with the first
      bicycle lifts in the world.

      As for the flat countries like the Netherlands and Denmark... people
      never mention the wind. Try riding to work in a storm, with hurricane
      strength gusts in the middle of a dark January morning. The North Sea
      loves our flat countries and does everything it can to blow us off
      our bikes. In vain, we'd like to add.

      Towns on the move towards a cycling future:
      Bilbao and Biscay
      Wallonia region of Belgium

      Here are some other links of interest. When you are on the
      Cycleliciousness page, click on the header main link (picture at the
      top of the page) to see more stories:

      Bike Racks - The Next Generation

      The Trade Cycle - Coffee to Go that Goes to You

      Test of Five Cargo Bikes

      Traffic Kills 10 Times More People Than Traffic Accidents

      Cycling Nurses Help Thwart Hospitalisation
      (See also "Bicycle paramedics in London" in my general "Compendium of

      18 Ways To Know That You Have Bicycle Culture
      (The way things could and should be in more places, written with a

      Cyclists Are Better Shoppers Than Motorists

      Elderly Alternatives to Cycling in Copenhagen

      Copenhagen - City of Cyclists - Part 1 of 5

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada