Folding Bikes (was: What about the weather?)

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
      http://www.2milechallenge.com/

      >> Assume you can ride up to 10km or 30 minutes, and [add] in
      >> a Brompton folding bike or similar, and very many commutes
      >> can be quite painlessly shifted away from cars using a
      >> combination of bikes and/or public transport.
      > Indeed, and there are much cheaper folders than Bromptons--
      > Dahon has vastly expanded its line, and you see them all over
      > LA, which is among the least bike-friendly city in the US.

      =v= They're doing extremely well in Manhattan, as well. Dahons
      sell like hotcakes because they're so cheap. Some models are
      actually fun to ride now, too, which is important for folks who
      want to ride further than 2 miles, 10km, etc.

      =v= I'm happier with my Bike Friday, though. It's made in the
      U.S. with least-toxic materials and practices, and its frame is
      more durable and comfortable. Since I can afford this higher
      price these days, that's the sort of business I want to support
      with my money.

      =v= To give them their due, Dahon was founded with the intent
      of helping people get around on nonpolluting alternatives to
      the car, which I applaud. I prefer to buy locally, and in
      particular things not made in China; but I can understand the
      value of low-cost alternatives.
      <_Jym_>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
        On Feb 3, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:

        > I'm happier with my Bike Friday, though. It's made in the
        > U.S. with least-toxic materials and practices, and its frame is
        > more durable and comfortable. Since I can afford this higher
        > price these days, that's the sort of business I want to support
        > with my money.

        Bike Fridays are excellent, and ride like a normal bicycle.

        They are three times the cost of a Dahon...but 1/20th the cost of a
        cheap new car. And supporting the most local possible business does
        make it possible to have enough tax receipts available to build
        carfree infrastructure!

        Rick
        http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        http://www.newcolonist.com