Re: CITY OF THE FUTURE (?)

  • bllabadie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2008
      Yes Todd, it is interesting one of the major sponsors is Nissan.

      My previous company, EDAW, participated in the LA version last year
      and I had the chance to attend the presentations. It was interesting
      how most of them developed lofty visions of 'information clouds' and
      structures that resembled living organisms, but barely addressed
      automobile usage and transportation issues, especially in the Urban
      Sprawl Capital of the US. As stated in the SF article, the
      competitions are based more on "originality than practicality" and the
      submissions, although interesting to comprehend, rarely include
      anything that could have an influence on current policy.

      A recommendation for a contest could reduce the length of time into
      the future, say Los Angeles in 2030 or 2050. This new contest could
      also require submissions that get more specific in their timelines
      regarding the details of how the city would reach the overall vision.
      This would allow a more collaborative effort between Urban
      Planners/Policy Makers and Architects/Urban Designers.

      Cheers,

      Brian Labadie
      Strategic Planning Officer
      Maroondah City Council