Re: This from someone in the auto industry

  • dubluth
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Edelman, Green Idea
      Factory" <edelman@...> wrote:

      > LISTEN carefully to Reinert... his job on this
      > programme is for American ears and he sounds
      > very thoughtful and calm -- he doesn't directly
      > defend the car industry. He wants to sound like
      > a friend to greens.

      Your point?

      Now listen.
      fact:
      Politicians, automakers, and environmentalists themselves spend a
      great deal promoting the idea of "green cars" and "green motorfuels".
      In other words they can't face up the idea or don't want to admit
      that automobility itself presents great problems. They tout
      technology and/or "enlightened" pro-driving policies as the answer to
      the problem with cars.

      It seems that promoting gasohol usually sufficed to earn one
      environmental credentials with much of the US population.

      fact:
      American automakers, particularly, promote the idea that the US's
      automobile centered lifestyle results from pure choice on the part of
      consumers. American automakers lobby against every proposed
      environmental, health, and safety regulation.

      fact:
      I hear someone on the radio say,
      "Maybe that there's a case that you don't want to drive cars in the
      built environment"

      fact:
      A lead manager from Toyota said that.

      I don't measure the significance simply as "Mr. Reinert wants to sound
      green". He's saying something I don't hear from car companies or
      national politicians. I've only recently seen many environmentalists
      seriously focusing on a need to reduce the growth in driving. Few get
      as visionary as to talk of car-free cities. On the program, the car
      expert said the city without cars was a very long way off. We want it
      to happen sooner. How does sitting around questioning the motives
      behind a true statement achieve that?

      I'm grateful that Mr. Reinert mentioned the case against driving in
      cities. Nothing implies that the statement absolves Toyota of any
      corporate sins.

      Bill